Watch Live l Live Stats l Live Audio l Twitter l Facebook
Date/Time:..............Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Location/Venue:.........Durham, N.C. (Cameron Indoor Stadium - 9,314)
Where to Watch:.........ACC Digital Network
Radio:..................Blue Devil IMG - WDNC-AM 620 (Steve Barnes, Morgan Patrick)
Series Record:..........Duke leads 9-0
Last Meeting:...........Feb. 24, 2012 - Duke 74, Miami 64
Record:.................18-1, 8-0 (ACC)
Ranking:................#5 (AP), #4 (USA Today)
Head Coach:.............Joanne P. McCallie (21st Year)
Record at Duke:..159-33 (6th Year)
ACC Record:......69-12 (6th Year)
Overall Record:..475-181 (21st Year)
Record:..................14-6, 5-4 (ACC)
Ranking:.................NR (AP), NR (USA Today)
Head Coach:..............Katie Meier (8th Year)
Record at Miami:.........140-101 (8th Year)
Overall Record:..........216-146 (12th Year)
Setting the Scene...
The fifth-ranked Duke women’s basketball team (18-1, 8-0 ACC) will host Miami (14-6, 5-4 ACC) on Thursday, Jan. 31 at 7:00 p.m., to close a two-game homestand in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Thursday’s contest will be aired live on the ACC Digital Network with Tom Werme (PXP) and Christy Winters Scott (Color) calling the action.
The game will be aired live on the Blue Devil IMG Sports Network on WDNC AM 620 with Steve Barnes (PXP) and Morgan Patrick (Color) on the air. The audio is also available live at www.GoDuke.com.
Duke will next travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., on Sunday, Feb. 3 to face 11th-ranked North Carolina on ESPNU.
Storylines/Other Blue Devil Notes...
• The Blue Devils have won 34 straight games in Cameron Indoor Stadium against ACC opponents.
Duke has not lost an ACC contest at home since Maryland posted a 76-69 win on Feb. 17, 2008. Coach P is 36-2 at home against ACC opponents in her six years at Duke.
• Duke boasts three players ranking in the top 10 nationally -- Elizabeth Williams in blocks (7th, 3.1), Chelsea Gray in steals (4th, 3.8) and Tricia Liston in three-point field goal percentage (3rd, 48.2). The Blue Devils are the only team in the ACC with three different players ranking in the top 10 nationally in different categories.
• As a team, Duke is first in three-point field goal percentage (42.9) and third in steals (13.6).
• In ACC games only, the Blue Devils lead the league with a 47.4 scoring defense.
• Alexis Jones has hit four out of her last nine treys the last three contests, after hitting eight three-pointers over her first 16 contests.
• Duke is averaging 26.0 points off turnovers this season.
• The Blue Devils have averaged 25.0 points off the bench the last two contests.
• Chelsea Gray is averaging 4.6 steals in ACC games to lead the league.
• Over the last two years, Duke is 18-0 when Chelsea Gray dishes seven or more assists. The Blue Devils are also 5-5 when Gray attempts 14 or more field goals.
• Elizabeth Williams has blocked at least one shot in every collegiate game she has played - 52 straight. The streak is the second-best in school history behind Alison Bales’ 55 in 2003-05. Dating back to high school, Williams has blocked a shot in 70 straight games as she closed her H.S. career with blocks in 19 consecutive contests.
• In the month of January over the last four years, the Blue Devils have posted a 29-4 record with all four losses coming at the hands of Connecticut.
• Elizabeth Williams has notched double-figure scoring against 21 consecutive ACC opponents.
• Chelsea Gray leads Duke with 12 charges taken on the season. Gray has 29 for her career. She has moved into seventh place on Duke’s all-time charges taken list. • Elizabeth Williams is second in the league with a 60.2 field goal percentage in ACC games only.
• Chelsea Gray has moved into seventh place on Duke’s all-time steals chart with 231 steals. Gray needs one steal to move into a tie for sixth on the list.
• Duke is averaging 76.5 points this season, which is the most for a Blue Devil squad since 2005-06 with an 86.0 ledger. The most for a Coach P squad in her previous five years was 75.2 in 2008-09.
• After holding Virginia Tech to a school-record low of 26 points on Jan. 16, head coach Joanne P. McCallie has held 22 different opponents to under 40 points since arriving at Duke in 2007-08.
• The Blue Devils registered a 3.3 grade-point average in the fall semester, which included five student-athletes with above a 3.5 GPA. A total of 11 Blue Devils had a 3.0 or better.
• Following Richa Jackson’s 16-point effort at Boston College, Duke now features 10 Blue Devils who have posted double-figure scoring at least one time this season, which leads the ACC.
• Duke has hit 50.0 percent or better from the field in six different games.
• The Blue Devils own four different student-athletes hitting over 40.0 percent or better from downtown -- Tricia Liston (48.2), Haley Peters (46.9), Alexis Jones (41.4) and Chloe Wells (52.0).
• Tricia Liston had her streak of 18 straight games with at least one three-pointer come to an end at N.C. State on Jan. 3. It was the longest streak since Georgia Schweitzer hit 25 straight treys in 2000-01.
• In dissecting the top shot blockers in the nation, Elizabeth Williams is the only underclassman to rank in the top seven in the country.
• Follow @Duke_WBB and @CoachPDuke on Twitter to get the latest updates on Duke women's basketball. Also, "Like" Duke Women's Basketball on Facebook to get the latest video, pictures and more. Join both now as they are free! You can win free prizes each week on both Twitter and Facebook, so make sure you follow closely.
A Look at Miami...
Miami enters Thursday’s matchup with an overall record of 14-6, after being edged by No. 11 North Carolina on Jan. 27, 64-62. The defeat was just the Hurricanes’ second loss when playing at home, and gives Miami a 4-5 record in the ACC. Despite a 12-2 record at home, the Hurricanes have tallied a 2-4 mark when playing on the road including losses in three of the previous four ACC road games.
Morgan Stroman (13.1 points, 8.7 rebounds), Stefanie Yderstrom (12.9 points, 1.3 rebounds) and Shawnice Wilson (8.5 points, 7.4 rebounds) lead the way for the Hurricanes this season.
Head coach Katie Meier is in her eighth season at the helm of the program and finished the 2011-12 season with a 26-6 record, as well as a 14-2 tally in ACC play. Meier was named the 2010-11 Associated Press National Coach of the Year - sharing the award with Connecticut’s Geno Auriemma and Stanford’s Tara VanDerveer.
The Series with Miami...
Duke and Miami will meet for the 10th time in program history with the Blue Devils owning a perfect 9-0 record. Miami has yet to win a game in Cameron Indoor Stadium (0-5), losing by an average of 22.6 points per contest.
Last season the two teams met Feb. 24 in Durham, when the No. 7 Blue Devils outlasted the fifth-ranked Hurricanes, 74-64.
Head coach Joanne P. McCallie has tallied a 5-1 all-time record against the Hurricanes, and has not lost to Miami since Dec. 28, 1997.
Blue Devils to Face Alum...
Duke will battle former Blue Devil All-America Katie Meier for the ninth time as a head coach on Thursday. Meier, who is in her eighth year as Miami’s head coach, also faced the Blue Devils on Nov. 29, 2001, when she was at the helm of Charlotte, and the last eight years as the Hurricanes’ coach. In the contest versus Charlotte, Duke won 64-39 in Charlotte, N.C.
Meier, who ranks fifth on Duke’s all-time scoring list with 1,761 points, was inducted into the 2002 Hall of Honor. She was the 1986 ACC Rookie of the Year and Basketball Yearbook Freshman All-America. She was a letterwinner in 1986, ‘87, ‘89 and ‘90 for the Blue Devils.
Blue Devils Versus Miami...
In only one career game against the Hurricanes, Elizabeth Williams notched 19 points, nine rebounds, four steals, two blocks and two assists in 36 minutes last year. She hit 9-of-18 field goals.
As a sophomore, Richa Jackson made her first collegiate start against Miami and notched 13 points, nine rebounds and one blocked shot. She hit 5-of-9 field goals.
Haley Peters owns averages of 13.5 points, 5.0 rebounds and 1.5 steals in two games against Miami. She has hit 12-of-22 field goals.
Last year, Allison Vernerey notched 10 points, two rebounds, two blocks and two steals in 22 minutes.
Liston Off the Bench...
Tricia Liston has come off the bench the last two games and in those contests she has averaged 17.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.0 assists in an average of 20.5 minutes.
She has hit 8-of-14 treys for a 57.1 percentage. Liston is averaging almost a point per minute in those games as she has scored 34 points in 41 minutes.
Wells Erupts for Season High...
In the last contest against Boston College, junior Chloe Wells tied a season high with 10 points in the first half and then went on to score a season-high 13 points as she hit 5-of-5 treys and 3-of-3 from downtown.
Wells has started the last two contests and in those contests she has averaged 4.5 steals. Her three treys against the Eagles matched a career high and was a season best.
She is hitting 52.0 percent from downtown, hitting 13-of-25 treys.
Williams Hitting Her Stride...
Sophomore Elizabeth Williams is feeling much better and her play is showing on the court. Over the last six games, she is averaging 15.3 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.8 blocks and 1.5 assists. Williams is coming off dishing five assists against Boston College, which tied a career high.
Williams has hit 51.4 percent of her field goals during this stretch. She owns a team-high four games with 20 or more points on the season.
Undefeated in League Play...
Duke is now 8-0 in ACC action, which is tied for the sixth-best start in ACC history. The Blue Devils have notched undefeated 16-0 records in ACC play in 2001-02 and 2002-03, while notching an undefeated 14-0 mark in 2006-07. Other top starts were in 13-0 (1998-99), 8-0 (2003-04 & 2011-12), 7-0 (2005-06 & 2010-11) and 6-0 (2009-10).
Best ACC Starts in League History
16-0 - Duke (2002-03, 2001-02), Virginia (1994-95)
14-0 - UNC (2007-08), Duke (2006-07), UVA (1990-91)
13-0 - Duke (1998-99, 2011-12), UNC (1996-97)
10-0 - Maryland (1991-92)
9-0 - UNC (2005-06), UVA (1986-87),
NCSU (1979-80, 1977-78)
8-0 - UNC (2006-07), Duke (2003-04, 2012-13),
At Home in Cameron...
The Blue Devils have posted an 9-0 record at home this season and have outscored their opponents by a 37.1 margin. Duke has averaged 81.0 points and held opponents to 43.9 points.
Four Duke standouts are averaging double-figure scoring -- Elizabeth Williams (15.2), Tricia Liston (14.6), Chelsea Gray (12.4) and Haley Peters (12.6).
Williams is averaging 3.2 blocks, while Gray is averaging 6.4 assists and 4.0 steals. Three Blue Devils are averaging over 7.0 rebounds a game -- Williams (7.0), Liston (7.3) and Peters (8.4).
Duke is averaging 17.9 assists and 15.6 steals, while forcing 24.8 turnovers.
Approaching 20 Wins...
With two more victories, Duke will register its 16th consecutive 20-win season and the 18th out of the last 19 years. Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie owns 16 different 20-win seasons over her 21-year coaching career and nine straight.
Looking at the national scene, Tennessee owns a 36-year streak of reaching 20 wins, while Connecticut is second (19) and Duke’s 15 straight years is third.
The ACC record for most consecutive 20-win seasons is 15 by Duke.
- Stats (HTML)