Duke vs. Norfolk State
Duke vs. Norfolk State
Feb. 26, 2014 | Jack Coombs Field | 4 p.m.
Duke RHP Drew Van Orden vs. Norfolk State LHP Devin Hemmerich
• Duke (4-3) welcomes non-conference foe Norfolk State (1-5) to Jack Coombs Field Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 4 p.m.
Last Time Out
• The Blue Devils posted a 2-1 record at the inaugural Duke Baseball Classic presented by Homewood Suites by Hilton RDU/RTP over the weekend.
• Duke defeated La Salle (6-1) and Akron (5-2) while falling to Saint Louis (3-2).
• Junior LHP Trent Swart struck out a career-high 11 batters in Duke’s victory over La Salle Friday. He fanned two batters in each of the first five frames, marking his fourth 10-plus strikeout game in Swart’s career.
• A three-run homer in the fifth gave Saint Louis all the runs it would need to upend Duke 3-2 Saturday. Senior Mike Rosenfeld had a season-high three hits to pace the Duke offense.
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini went 2-for-4, including a three-run bomb in the fifth, to lead Duke past Akron 5-2 Sunday.
Norfolk State Series History
• Wednesday’s game is the sixth all-time meeting between Duke and Norfolk State.
• The Blue Devils have never lost to the Spartans and lead the all-time series 5-0.
• Duke won the first clash between the two schools, 11-5, on March 1, 1991.
• The Blue Devils and the Spartans have not met since 1998, a 10-2 Duke victory Feb. 13 in Durham, N.C.
Duke vs. Norfolk State Series History
Date - Location - Result
March 1, 1991 - Durham, N.C. - W, 11-5
Apr. 22, 1992 - Durham, N.C. - W, 9-2
Feb. 7, 1997 - Durham, N.C. - W, 2-1
Feb. 28, 1997 - Durham, N.C. - W, 7-2
Feb. 13, 1998 - Durham, N.C. - W, 10-2
Duke vs. MEAC
• The Blue Devils own a 79-5 all-time record against teams currently in the MEAC: Bethune Cookman (0-0), Coppin State (8-0), Delaware State (2-0), Florida A&M (0-0), Maryland Eastern Shore (11-0), Norfolk State (5-0), North Carolina A&T (41-5), N.C. Central (12-0) and Savannah State (0-0).
• Duke’s 2014 schedule also features a March 18 matchup against MEAC foe UMES as well as a home-and-home series with N.C. Central April 8 and April 16.
• Last season, Duke went 4-0 against MEAC teams, sweeping home-and-home series against both North Carolina A&T and N.C. Central.