Duke (9-8, 1-2 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (6-9, 0-3 ACC)
Durham, N.C. | Jack Coombs Field
Friday, March 14 | 6 p.m.
Duke RHP Drew Van Orden (1-1) vs. Notre Dame RHP Sean Fitzgerald (2-1)
Saturday, March 12 | 1 p.m.
Sunday, March 15 | 12 p.m.
Duke RHP Michael Matuella (0-0) vs. TBA
• Duke and Notre Dame meet for the first time as conference opponents this weekend.
• The Blue Devils are the only team in the ACC with three pitchers among the league’s top 12 in ERA (minimum 1.0 IP/team game) ... Junior Andrew Istler (0.81) ranks fourth, junior Trent Swart (1.42) seventh and sophomore James Marvel (1.78) 12th.
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini is one of two players in the conference, along with Miami’s Dale Carey, to total three or more home runs as well as three-plus stolen bases this season.
• Marconcini also leads the team with seven multiple RBI games, including three games with three or more runs driven in.
• Senior Jordan Betts entered the week with 54 career doubles, a mark which ranked fourth nationally among active players.
• Junior Grant McCabe leads the team and ranks sixth in the ACC in walks (14).
• After belting a pair of triples against Quinnipiac, senior Mark Lumpa currently leads both the team and the ACC with a career-high three triples this season.
• Duke is one of six ACC teams to limit the opposition to fewer than 10 stolen bases on the year.
• Senior Mike Rosenfeld ranks third in the league, throwing out five would-be base stealers.
• Duke is 1-5 this season in one-run games, including two single-run losses to then-top-ranked Virginia this past weekend.
Last Time Out
• The Blue Devils split a pair of midweek games, defeating Quinnipiac, 16-5, Tuesday before falling to Furman, 11-9, Wednesday ... Senior Matt Berezo matched a career-high with three hits versus the Paladins while also adding two runs and an RBI ... The Blue Devils amassed a season-high 17 hits in a dominant win over Quinnipiac ... Redshirt junior Mike Rosenfeld had three hits and totaled a career-best four RBI in the contest.
Notre Dame Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 10th meeting in program history between Duke and Notre Dame as well as the two schools’ first tilt as ACC foes ... The Blue Devils lead the all-time series, which dates back to 1955, 5-4 ... Duke and Notre Dame have met just once in the past 24 seasons, a 3-1 Blue Devil victory Feb. 2, 1998 in Durham.
Duke in the ACC
• Duke enters the weekend with a 1-2 mark in conference action ... The Blue Devils are currently tied for fourth in the Coastal Division standings ... Duke is in search of its first ACC Tournament berth since 2009 ... The Blue Devils rank fourth in the ACC in team ERA (2.63) and fielding percentage (.972) while sitting in eighth in team batting average (.258) ... Duke was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Preseason Coaches Poll ... The Blue Devils are 345-1012-6 all-time in ACC games ... Duke holds a 666-1,020-8 record against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-84), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (124-151-1), North Carolina (93-182-3), Notre Dame (5-4), Pitt (4-1), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (29-24) and Wake Forest (135-152-2).
Walk This Way
• The Blue Devils are one of the more patient teams at the plate in the ACC, totaling 94 walks heading into the weekend ... Duke ranks fourth in the conference, averaging 5.53 walks per contest.
• Senior Jordan Betts has started all 183 games in his Duke career with 181 starts at third base and two at shortstop ... The Wilmington, N.C., native ranks fourth nationally in consecutive games started ... He is also one of eight current players to start every game in their respective collegiate careers.
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks fourth in the ACC with a .972 fielding percentage ... Duke is the only team in the conference to commit fewer than 20 errors while totaling over 650 fielding chances ... The other two squads with 650 or more chances, Wake Forest (744) and Miami (677) rank first and second in the league in errors at 28 and 27, respectively ... With 19 errors so far, the Blue Devils are one of five ACC squads with under 20 miscues on the year.
Marconcini, Matuella Earn ACC Weekly Honors
• Duke is the only team to have ACC Player of the Week and ACC Pitcher of the Week honorees over the early part of the season ... Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini earned his first career ACC Player of the Week citation Feb. 24 after hitting .667 (10-for-15) over a four-game stretch ... Marconcini reached base in 14 of 19 total plate appearances while also adding six runs, seven RBI and three stolen bases in that span ... Sophomore Michael Matuella garnered the ACC Pitcher of the Week nod on Feb. 17 following his performance versus Binghamton ... The right-hander was perfect in 5.0 innings of work, needing just 71 pitches to retire all 15 batters he faced while striking out a career-high nine.