Duke (31-21, 15-12 ACC) at No. 4 Florida State (39-13, 19-8 ACC)
Dick Howser Stadium | Tallahassee, Fla.
Thursday, May 15 | 6 p.m.
RHP Andrew Istler (8-6, 2.42 ERA) vs. RHP Luke Weaver (7-3, 2.65 ERA)
Friday, May 16 | 6 p.m.
RHP Drew Van Orden (5-4, 3.30 ERA) vs. RHP Mike Compton (6-1, 3.03 ERA)
Saturday, May 17 | 1 p.m.
TBA vs. TBA
This Weekend’s Series
• Duke and Florida State meet in a three-game series Thursday-Saturday at Dick Howser Stadium ... The series marks the end of the regular season for both teams ... The Blue Devils bring a six-game ACC road win streak into the weekend ... Duke is 14-5 since April 8, however, the Blue Devils have dropped four of their past six games ... It their last outing, the Blue Devils downed Richmond, 10-3, in their final home game of the 2014 season.
Florida State Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 93rd meeting between the two schools ... The Seminoles lead the all-time series, 74-18 ... Duke is in search of its first series win in Tallahassee since 1994 ... Last season, Florida State swept the series from Duke in Tallahassee.
Duke in the ACC
• The Blue Devils, picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Coaches Preseason Poll, currently sit in fourth place overall in the ACC standings with a 15-12 conference mark ... The Blue Devils have not finished in the top four in the ACC since finishing the 1994 season in second in the standings ... Duke’s 15 ACC wins mark the team’s highest total since a 15-15 campaign in 2009 ... The Blue Devils have also clinched a spot in the ACC Tournament for the first time since 2009 ... Duke has swept four ACC series in the same season for the first time since 1994 ... In comparison, Duke had four ACC sweeps total from 1995-2012 ... The Blue Devils hold a 680-1,030-8 all-time record against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-87), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-27), NC State (126-152-1), North Carolina (96-182-3), Notre Dame (8-4), Pitt (4-4), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (32-24) and Wake Forest (138-152-2) ... A member of the ACC since 1954, Duke is 366-759-4 all-time in conference contests.
Blue Devils Reach 30 Wins
• Duke won its 30th game of the season May 5 against Longwood ... The Blue Devils have reached the 30-win plateau for the first time since 2009 ... Duke has won 30 games or more in a season 10 times in program history: 2013, 2009, 2008, 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993 and 1992.
• Duke is one of five ACC squads with a team ERA under 3.05, bringing a 3.01 mark into the weekend ... Duke’s current ERA is its lowest since finishing the 1971 season with a 2.71 mark ... The Blue Devils have not posted a team ERA under 4.00 since 1993 ... The Blue Devils ranks second in the league in both strikeouts (461) and strikeouts per game (8.80) ... The Blue Devils also entered the week ranked fourth nationally in strikeouts per nine innings ... Duke is the only team to have two different pitchers earn ACC Pitcher of the Week accolades this season (Michael Matuella and Drew Van Orden).
• The Blue Devils are 25-0 when leading after seven innings this season thanks to a consistent effort from the bullpen ... Closer Robert Huber leads the team and ranks third in the league with 10 saves, while Nick Hendrix and Conner Stevens have been Duke’s other top relief options ... Hendrix and Huber both rank in the top 20 in the league in appearances.
Huber Flourishes as Closer
• After starting on Sundays a season ago, senior Robert Huber has flourished as the team’s closer in 2014 ... Huber currently ranks third in the ACC with 10 saves ... He is one of just three Blue Devil pitchers to record 10 or more saves in a single season since the stat was first recorded in 1969 ... Huber’s 11 career saves ranks fifth in program history ... The Plano, Texas, native is one of four pitchers in Duke history to total five or more saves as well as 15 or more wins in a career, joining David Darwin, Ryan Jackson and Marcus Stroman ... He is also one of two active ACC pitchers, along with Miami’s Bryan Radziewski, with two career shutouts.
Limiting Free Passes
• Duke has made the opposition earn its offense, walking 167 batters this season while hitting just 23 ... The Blue Devils’ 3.19 walks per game average is good for third in the ACC ... Duke is on pace to walk 176 batters this season, which would be the team’s lowest total since 2008 ... In addition, Duke’s 23 hit batters is the lowest total in the league ... The Blue Devils are the only squad in the ACC to hit fewer than 30 batters this season.
Jack of All Trades
• The Blue Devils have utilized junior Andrew Istler in a variety of situations this season ... Istler has started nine games this season, including four in ACC play, while also taking the mound for 11 relief appearances ... Istler has thrived this season and ranks 13th in the ACC with a career-best 2.42 ERA ... At 8-6 on the year, he is also tied for the third in the league in wins ... He boasts a strong pickoff move as well, and is tops in the ACC with seven pickoffs this season.
• Duke is the only ACC team to total 15 or more triples as well as 25 or more home runs this season ... The Blue Devils lead the ACC in triples (19) and rank third in home runs (26) ... Duke’s 26 home runs this season are the most since the Blue Devils’ belted 40 in 2009, while 2014 marks the fourth straight season Duke has totaled 14 or more triples.
Betts Having Career Year
• Senior Jordan Betts has anchored the Duke lineup this year, turning in career numbers in batting average (.322), slugging percentage (.515) and on base percentage (.407) ... He ranks 13th in the ACC in batting average and fifth in slugging percentage ... Betts leads the team with 17 multi-hit games, including six with three or more hits ... His 17 doubles also ranks third in the league.
• Senior Jordan Betts leads all active ACC players with 66 career doubles ... That mark also ranks third nationally among active Division I players ... Betts is one of two Duke players to total 65 or more doubles in a career, joining Jeff Becker (74) in that distinction.
Lumpa Patient at the Plate
• Senior Mark Lumpa has done a tremendous job in the leadoff spot and currently ranks fifth in the ACC in on base percentage (.452) and fifth in runs scored (43) ... Lumpa is one of the more patient hitters in the country, leading the nation with 47 walks ... He is the fourth player in Duke history to draw 45 or more walks in a single season and the first since Larry Broadway coaxed 50 in 2002 ... Lumpa has recorded at least one walk in 31 games and multiple walks in 15 contests ... He has failed to reach base in eight games this season and just three times over Duke’s past 38 contests.
Perez Heating Up
• Junior Andy Perez got off to a slow start this season, batting .081 over Duke’s first 15 games ... Since then, Perez has been one of the Blue Devils’ top hitters, batting .323 during the past 37 games ... He brings a team-best 13 game hitting streak into the weekend ... During that span, Perez is hitting .404 (21-for-52) with 10 runs scored, five RBI and five stolen bases ... He also raised his average from .214 to .274 during the streak.
Marconcini Provides Power
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini has put up impressive power numbers this season ... He leads the ACC in home runs (8) and ranks 19th in slugging percentage (.446), seventh in triples (3) and 11th in total bases (90) ... Marconcini has hit at least four home runs in each of his three seasons and has belted eight in each of the past two years ... Marconcini is also the only player in the ACC to total seven or more home runs as well as seven or more stolen bases.
Marconcini Among RBI Leaders
• With a career-best 44 RBI this season, redshirt junior Chris Marconcini leads the ACC in that category ... He has driven in multiple runs in a team-best 13 contests, including seven with three or more RBI ... Marconcini has totaled 38 or more RBI in each of his three seasons at Duke ... With 121 career RBI, he is the 25th player in Duke history to top the 120 RBI mark.
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks third in the ACC with a .975 fielding percentage ... The Blue Devils are one of three ACC teams with 55 or fewer miscues on the season ... Duke is the only league team to average over 8.50 strikeouts per game while also fielding .975 or better ... The Blue Devils have earned the reputation as a strong defensive team, posting a fielding percentage of .970 or better in seven of the past eight seasons.
Controlling the Run Game
• The Blue Devils have done well controlling the run game this season ... Duke is one of six ACC teams to limit the opposition to under 35 stolen bases ... Opposing teams have attempted to steal just 53 times against Duke, succeeding on 33 (.623) ... Catcher Mike Rosenfeld is a large reason why, throwing out 15 of 41 runners on stolen base attempts ... The Blue Devils also ranked fourth in the league with 12 runners picked off.
• Duke relies heavily on the contributions of its upperclassmen ... The Blue Devils’ starting lineup usually includes eight upperclassmen with sophomore Kenny Koplove as the lone underclassman representative.
Blue Devils Earn ACC Honors
• Senior Drew Van Orden and sophomore Michael Matuella have both earned ACC Pitcher of the Week honors this season, while redshirt junior Chris Marconcini also picked up league player of the week accolades ... Duke is the only team to have two different pitchers garner ACC Pitcher of the Week distinction this season.
• Van Orden earned conference pitcher of the week honors on April 14 after tossing eight shutout innings with 11 strikeouts in the Blue Devils’ 2-0 victory over NC State ... The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native surrendered just three hits with one walk and did not face more than four batters in any inning. Van Orden struck out at least one Wolfpack hitter in each of his eight innings and fanned two in the first, second and fourth frames ... The 6-3 right-hander yielded just one hit over his final five innings and did not permit a baserunner after the fifth.
• Marconcini earned his first career ACC Player of the Week citation Feb. 24 after hitting .667 (10-for-15) over a four-game stretch ... Marconcini reached base in 14-of-19 total plate appearances while also adding six runs, seven RBI and three stolen bases in that span.
• Matuella garnered the ACC Pitcher of the Week nod on Feb. 17 following his performance versus Binghamton ... The right-hander was perfect in 5.0 innings of work, needing just 71 pitches to retire all 15 batters he faced while striking out a career-high nine.