Duke vs. North Carolina
Saturday, March 9, 2013 • 9:00 p.m. • ESPN
Chapel Hill, N.C. • Dean E. Smith Center (21,750)
Play-by-Play: Dan Shulman
Analysts: Dick Vitale, Jay Bilas
Sideline: Samantha Ponder
Blue Devil IMG Sports Network
Play-by-Play: Bob Harris
Analyst Opening: John Roth
Sirius - 85; XM – 91
The Opening Tip
• The Blue Devils are ranked No. 3 in the AP Poll and No. 4 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. Duke is 3-1 this season and 112-23 overall when ranked No. 3 in the country.
• The Blue Devils have been ranked in the AP top 10 for 111 consecutive weeks. Duke has been ranked in the top five in 15 of the 18 polls this season.
• Duke is playing its 207th straight game as a top-10 team in the AP poll. Duke is 172-34 in that span.
• Head coach Mike Krzyzewski ranks second all-time for most wins by a coach at one school with 880 career victories at Duke. Krzyzewski passed Dean Smith on the list following Duke’s 85-57 win over Virginia Tech last Tuesday. His 880 wins at Duke are the most in ACC history.
• Duke is the only team in the top 5 of the Associated Press Poll (No. 3), Coaches Poll (No. 4), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 1).
The Last Time Out
• Senior captains Seth Curry, Ryan Kelly and Mason Plumlee combined for 52 points on senior night Tuesday against Virginia Tech to lead Duke to an 85-57 win over the Hokies in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• The win improved Duke to 16-0 in Cameron Indoor Stadium this season, marking the 17th time in school history – and 10th under Coach K – that the Blue Devils went undefeated at home. It was also Duke’s 800th home win in Cameron.
• Curry led Duke with 20 points, while Kelly added 18 and Plulmee 14. Curry hit five three-pointers, including four in a row.
• Duke committed just four turnovers the entire game while amassing 17 assists for the second-highest assist-to-turnover ratio this season. Plumlee and Kelly led the team with five assists apiece.
• The win moved Coach K into second place on the list for most wins by a coach at one school.
• Head coach Mike Krzyzewski won his 880th game at Duke on Tuesday, moving past Dean Smith for second place for most wins by a coach at one school. Krzyzewski is 880-236 (.789) all-time as Duke’s head coach.
• Duke, ranked No. 3 in the latest AP Poll, has been ranked in the top 10 of the poll 111 consecutive weeks. The last time Duke was not ranked in the top 10 was Nov. 19, 2007.
• Duke is the only team in the top 5 of the Associated Press Poll (No. 3), Coaches Poll (No. 3), NCAA RPI (No. 1) and Strength of Schedule index (No. 2). Miami is the only other school to rank in the top 10 in all four polls.
• Duke has locked up at least a top-three finish in the ACC standings, marking the sixth straight season – and 16th time in the last 17 seasons – that Duke has finished in the ACC’s top three.
• Duke went undefeated at home for the third time in the last four seasons. The only other time the Blue Devils accomplished that feat was from 1961-1964 (undefeated in 1961, 1963 and 1964). Duke is 800-153 all-time in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
• Duke has had at least one player score 20 or more points in each of the last six games. Four different players have accomplished the feat with Seth Curry posting four 20+ point games and averaging 18.8 ppg., while shooting 51.3 percent (20-of-39) from three-point range in that span.
• Seth Curry is just 18 points shy of reaching 2,000 for his career. He has 1,275 points as a Blue Devil and 1,982 during his college career.
• Duke is 17-0 with Ryan Kelly in the lineup this season, including a 4-0 mark against top-five teams. Kelly is among the winningest players in Duke history, posting a 107-13 (.892) record to rank third on the all-time winning percentage list.
• Ryan Kelly is averaging 27.0 points per game since returning to the lineup two games ago. Kelly is shooting 61.5 percent (16-of-26) from the field, 56.3 percent (9-of-16) from three-point range and 81.3 percent (13-of-16) from the free throw line during that span. He also leads the team with 8.0 rebounds per game during that two-game stretch.
• Quinn Cook has scored in double figures in 10 of the last 12 games and in four straight contests. Cook is averaging 14.8 points and 4.2 assists per game during that stretch.
Duke-North Carolina Series History
• Duke and North Carolina have met 235 times with North Carolina holding a 132-103 lead in the series. Duke is 38-37 against North Carolina under head coach Mike Krzyzewski.
• The series began on Jan. 24, 1920 and is the third most played series in Duke basketball history. North Carolina won the first meeting 36-25.
• Duke is 12-15 all-time in the Dean E. Smith Center after winning last year’s meeting 85-84. Duke has won two of the last three games in the Smith Center.
• Duke is 20-11 against North Carolina since the 1999- 2000 season.
• The Blue Devils have won six of the last eight meetings against the Tar Heels.
• Neither team has won both regular season meetings in the same season since the 2008-09 season.
• The road team is 9-6 in the series since the 2005-06 season.
• In the last meeting, Mason Plumlee and Quinn Cook both scored 18 points to lead Duke past North Carolina 73-68 in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke outrebounded North Carolina 39-38 for the game.