This is the first installment of a weekly series provided by GoDuke.com which will take a look at the accomplishments of the 15 Blue Devils who are spending their summers in various wooden bat leagues around the country. Check back every Monday for updates.
Cape Cod League
- Marcus Stroman (Orleans Firebirds) threw five scoreless innings to notch a win in his first Cape Cod League start, striking out five while scattering three hits. Stroman has not allowed a run in his first seven innings and has six strikeouts and no walks.
- Will Piwnica-Worms (Orleans Firebirds) extended his hitting streak to four games after going 2-for-4 with two RBI in a 5-3 win over Cotuit. Piwnica-Worms has started six of Orleans' eight games, driving in two runs in each of his last two outings.
- Dennis O'Grady (Orleans Firebirds) threw 1.2 scoreless relief innings in the 5-3 win over Cotuit to earn a hold. His outing helped preserve the win for Stroman.
- Devin Burke (Wareham Gatemen) made his first start of the summer on Friday and suffered a loss at the hands of the Harbor Hawks. Burke gave up just two earned runs on three hits over five innings, but was on the losing end of a shutout from the Hawks pitching staff.
- Eric Pfisterer (Wareham Gatemen) threw seven shutout innings in his first start of the season to lead the Gatemen to a 1-0 win over Bourne. He struck out nine and walked just two.
New England Collegiate Baseball League
- Chase Bebout (Newport Gulls) saw his eight-inning scoreless streak come to an end in a one-inning relief appearance on Friday. Bebout, who had posted back-to-back scoreless starts in his first two appearances, has struck out 11 hitters in nine innings on the season while walking just three. He owns a 1.00 ERA for the Gulls.
Coastal Plain League
- Ben Grisz (Thomasville HiToms) has become a two-way player for Thomasville, making four pitching appearances and 14 appearances in the lineup. Grisz owns a 2-1 record and a 2.55 ERA and is hitting .235 with four doubles, a triple and a home run.
- Brian Litwin (Morehead City Marlins) is the starting center fielder for Morehead, appearing in 19 of the team's 21 games. Litwin has 13 hits, including two doubles and a triple, and has bumped his average back over .200 with a recent tear.
California Collegiate Baseball League
- Matt Morris (Santa Maria Valley Packers) threw five shutout innings in a 2-1 loss to the MLB Barons. Morris left with a 1-0 lead only to see the Barons tie the game in the seventh and score on a walk-off double in the 10th inning. Morris boasts a 1.29 ERA in 14 innings and is holding opponents to a .208 average.
Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League
- Joe Pedevillano (Southampton Breakers) has settled in as Southampton's leadoff hitter and is hitting .279 with 12 hits and seven runs in 10 games. He is also a perfect 5-for-5 stealing bases and has played errorless defense in center field. He has hits in six of his last eight games.
- Mike Carroll (St. Cloud River Bats) stole his first base of the summer on Saturday in a 6-3 win over Brainerd. Carroll is hitting .176 on the season, but has drawn six walks and owns a .349 on base percentage.