Below are notes from the various summer leagues around the country that have Duke baseball representation.
Cape Cod League
- Sophomore outfielder Will Piwnica-Worms (Orleans Firebirds) strung together an eight-game hitting streak in the Cape, which is the second longest streak by a CCBL hitter this season. Piwnica-Worms has reached base safely in 11 of his 13 games on the season and has a 6:6 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- Freshman two-way player Marcus Stroman (Orleans Firebirds) has yet to allow a run in his first 10 innings on the mound. Stroman's most recent outing was a three-inning relief appearance in which he preserved a four-run lead to pick up his first save of the summer. Stroman has struck out eight batters on the season without allowing a walk.
- Dennis O'Grady (Orleans Firebirds) has settled in as a two-way player, making three appearances on the mound and six appearances in the field. He has allowed one hit over his last 2.2 innings, all in relief.
- Sophomore lefty Eric Pfisterer (Wareham Gatemen) posted another solid start in his second outing, holding Chatham to four hits and two earned runs over 6.1 innings. Pfisterer has logged 14 strikeouts over his first 13.1 innings and boasts a 1-0 record and a 1.35 ERA.
- After holding the Harbor Hawks to two earned runs over five innings in his first start in the Cape, freshman right-hander Devin Burke (Wareham Gatemen) was touched up for three earned runs in a relief appearance in his next outing. He would rebound, however, to throw a scoreless inning out of the bullpen in his next appearance.
Coastal Plain League
- Ben Grisz (Thomasville HiToms) threw a two-hit shutout in a 1-0 win for Thomasville in his last start and was named CPL Pitcher of the Week for his effort. Grisz struck out 10 and walked two while improving his season ERA to 1.69. Grisz is 3-1 after his first five appearances with 27 strikeouts and just six walks in 26.2 innings.
- Sophomore Brian Litwin (Morehead City Marlins) is an everyday outfielder for the Marlins. He has started 17 games, splitting time between center and right field.
California Collegiate Baseball League
- Freshman southpaw Matt Morris (Santa Maria Packers) turned in another quality start for Santa Maria, holding the Conejo Oaks to five hits and two runs over six complete innings. Morris, who ranks third in the league with a 1.80 ERA through his first 20 innings, is holding the opposition to a .217 batting average.
Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League
- Sophomore Joe Pedevillano (Southampton Breakers) has cooled off from his hot start to the summer, but is still doing his job as Southampton's leadoff man. Pedevillano is 5-for-5 in base stealing opportunities and leads the team with seven runs scored. He has also played errorless defense in the outfield and has added two outfield assists as well.
New England Collegiate Baseball League
- Freshman Chase Bebout (Newport Gulls) has not made an appearance since June 18 when he came out of the bullpen to throw one inning in a 6-4 loss to Vermont. Bebout owns a 1.00 ERA in the NECBL with 11 strikeouts and three walks in nine innings.
- Freshman Mike Carroll (St. Cloud River Bats) went 1-for-5 in three games last week for St. Cloud. He has seen action as a member of the River Bats' outfield rotation.