Duke (14-12, 4-5 ACC) vs. North Carolina (15-9, 5-4 ACC)
Durham, N.C. | Jack Coombs Field
Friday, March 28 | 6 p.m.
Duke RHP Drew Van Orden vs. UNC RHP Trent Thornton
Saturday, March 29 | 1 p.m.
Duke RHP Andrew Istler vs. UNC RHP Benton Moss
Sunday, March 30 | 1 p.m.
Duke RHP Michael Matuella vs. UNC RHP Zac Gallen
• Duke leads the league in team earned run average in ACC games, posting a 2.39 ERA over its first nine conference contests ... Duke and Virginia are the only two conference teams with an ERA under 3.00 in league action.
• Duke is 12-0 when leading after six innings.
• The Blue Devils are coming off a stretch of 14 games in 16 days, including three consecutive Saturday doubleheaders ... Duke posted a 7-7 record during that span.
• The Blue Devils are one of five ACC teams to limit the opposition to 15 or fewer stolen bases on the year.
• Senior catcher Mike Rosenfeld ranks second in the ACC, throwing out eight runners on stolen base attempts ... Rosenfeld also brings a team-best eight-game hitting streak into the weekend.
• Senior Matt Berezo has been on a tear as of late, recording multiple hits in nine of his past 11 games, including two or more hits in each of Duke’s past six contests ... During that span, Berezo has raised is batting average from .333 to a team-leading .450 ... Berezo also leads all ACC players with a .480 average in conference games.
• Senior Mark Lumpa leads the team both walks (20) and on base percentage (.465) ... The Saudi Arabia native has reached base in 13 consecutive contests, hitting .357 (15-for-42) with 15 walks during that span.
• Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini leads the ACC in both home runs (6) and RBI (28) ... The Brentwood, Tenn., native has a team-best eight games with multiple RBI, including four games with three or more runs driven in ... In addition, Marconcini is the only player in the ACC to total five or more home runs as well as five or more stolen bases.
• Junior Andrew Istler owns a team-best 1.73 ERA, a mark which also ranks fifth in the ACC ... Istler is one of eight league pitchers with an ERA under 2.00.
• Senior Robert Huber is one of two ACC pitchers, along with Miami’s Bryan Radziewski, with two career shutouts ... Huber has moved into the closer role this season, and currently ranks fourth in the ACC with four saves.
• Senior Jordan Betts leads all active ACC players with 60 career doubles ... Betts is one of three Duke players to belt 60 or more doubles in a career, joining Vaughn Schill (60) and Jeff Becker (74).
• Sophomore Michael Matuella has been spectacular in limited action this season ... The Great Falls, Va., native has not allowed a baserunner over 10.0 innings of work, striking out 19 ... Matuella also ranks 17th in the ACC, striking out 10 batters looking.
Last Time Out
• Senior Matt Berezo extended his streak to six consecutive games with multiple hits, but Duke could not come up with the game-tying run late in a 3-2 setback at Davidson Tuesday, March 25 ... The defeat marked Duke’s seventh one-run loss of the season ... Redshirt junior Aaron Cohn laced a pair of doubles, his seventh and eighth of the 2014 campaign, while senior Mark Lumpa reached base twice and scored both Duke runs ... Davidson used six pitchers to limit Duke to six hits ... Freshman Kevin Lewallyn (2-1) took the loss after giving up one run on three hits over 2.1 innings of work.
North Carolina Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 279th meeting in program history between Duke and North Carolina ... The Tar Heels have won nine straight against the Blue Devils and lead the all-time series, 182-93-3 ... The series dates back to the 1891 ... Last season, North Carolina swept Duke in a three-game series in Chapel Hill, N.C.
Duke in the ACC
• Duke enters the weekend with a 4-5 mark in conference action ... The Blue Devils are in sixth place in the Coastal Division standings ... The Blue Devils rank third in the ACC in team ERA (2.75) and fielding percentage (.974) while sitting in eighth in team batting average (.259) ... Duke was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Preseason Coaches Poll ... The Blue Devils are 348-1015-6 all-time in ACC games ... Duke holds a 669-1,023-8 record against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-84), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (124-151-1), North Carolina (93-182-3), Notre Dame (8-4), Pitt (4-4), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (29-24) and Wake Forest (135-152-2) ... Duke is in search of its first ACC Tournament berth since 2009.
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks third in the ACC with a .974 fielding percentage ... Duke is the only team in the conference to commit fewer than 30 errors while totaling over 1,000 fielding chances ... The other three squads with 1,000 or more chances are also the top three teams in errors: Georgia Tech (1,029 chances, 39 errors), Miami (1,048 chances, 38 errors) and Wake Forest (1,080 chances, 41 errors) ... The Blue Devils are one of six ACC teams with 30 or fewer miscues on the season.
Run Game Success
• The Blue Devils have done well controlling the run game while also taking advantage of its stolen base opportunities ... Duke is one of three ACC teams, along with Notre Dame and Pitt, to swipe 25 or more bases while also limiting the opposition to 15 or fewer stolen bases.
Marconcini, Matuella Earn ACC Weekly Honors
• Duke and Florida State are the only two teams to have both an ACC Player of the Week and ACC Pitcher of the Week honoree this season ... Redshirt junior Chris Marconcini earned his first career ACC Player of the Week citation Feb. 24 after hitting .667 (10-for-15) over a four-game stretch ... Marconcini reached base in 14 of 19 total plate appearances while also adding six runs, seven RBI and three stolen bases in that span ... Sophomore Michael Matuella garnered the ACC Pitcher of the Week nod on Feb. 17 following his performance versus Binghamton ... The right-hander was perfect in 5.0 innings of work, needing just 71 pitches to retire all 15 batters he faced while striking out a career-high nine.