STUDENT ATHLETIC TRAINER AID PROGRAM
The mission of the Duke University Student Trainer Aid Program is to enlist the services of Duke University students to assist the Sports Medicine Staff in providing the most comprehensive, effective and competent medical care for our intercollegiate athletes.
The Athletic Trainer Aid Program offers you an opportunity to work with our intercollegiate athletes. As a participant of the program, the student works directly with the staff athletic trainers, physical therapists and team physicians. The student will learn about the every day operations of the sports medicine department and aid the staff athletic trainers in its execution. Many of our students have an interest in the medical fields. Although this is not a pre-requisite of the program, we have many students go on to medical and physical therapy school after their experience with us. Duke University does not provide you an avenue to become certified by the National Athletic Trainers Association.
BECOMING AN ATHLETIC TRAINING AID
What you need to know:
• Prior knowledge and athletic training experience is not necessary.
• A general interest in athletics or sports medicine is helpful.
What is expected:
• Professional Conduct
• Active Learning
• Professional Attire
What is the time commitment:
• Initially 10-15 hours per week
• 15-25 hours per week after your freshmen year
• Attendance at in-service meetings
Will I get paid?
Our student athletic trainer aid positions are paid through the university work/study program. It is a need based federal program based on your parents’ income.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for students who are:
• Committed to assisting us with the medical care of our athletes
• Willing to treat the position as a priority in their academic schedule
• Eager to invest time and energy as an opportunity to learn about Sports Medicine.
• Applications are accepted continuously throughout the year based on demand.
• Applicants can call Hap Zarzour, Executive Director of Athletic Medicine, at (919) 668-5761 or email him at email@example.com
• An interview will be conducted of all potential candidates.