COLLEGE PARK, Md. Ė The ninth-ranked Blue Devil women’s tennis team began ACC play with a 7-0 shutout win over Maryland on Wednesday at the Tennis Center at College Park.
With the win, Duke improves to 6-1 (1-0 ACC) while the Terrapins fall to 2-6 (0-1 ACC).
The Blue Devils swept the doubles competition to take a 1-0 lead over the Terps, as junior Jessi Robinson and sophomore Tara Iyer combined for an 8-3 win over Karin Lundmark and Adela Matejkova at the No. 3 position before the sixth-ranked tandem of junior Melissa Mang and sophomore Amanda Granson defeated Michal Amir and Lisa Miller, 8-5, at No. 2 to clinch the point for Duke.
At No. 2, the Blue Devil freshmen duo of Reka Zsilinszka and Ellah Nze posted an 8-5 win over Julia Huschke and Maggie MacKeever to complete the sweep.
Duke then dominated the singles competition, winning at all six positions in straight sets for the 7-0 win.
Sixteenth-ranked Nze was the first Blue Devil to record a victory with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Lundmark at No. 2.
Iyer, playing at the top position, then defeated Amir, 6-4, 6-2, before 13th-ranked Zsilinszka posted a 6-0, 6-1 triumph over Huschke at No. 3 to clinch the win for Duke.
Action at No. 5 saw Granson get past Eleanor Peters (7-5, 3-0, ret.), while play at No. 4 saw Mang defeat MacKeever (7-5, 6-0) and competition at No. 6 saw Robinson post a 6-3, 6-3 win over Miller.
Duke will return to action on March 7 as the Blue Devils host Boston College at 6 p.m.
No. 9 Duke 7, Maryland 0
February 27, 2008
Tennis Center at College Park Ė College Park, Md.
1. Tara Iyer (D) def. Michal Amir (M) 6-4, 6-2
2. #16 Ellah Nze (D) def. Karin Lundmark (M) 6-1, 6-2
3. #13 Reka Zsilinszka (D) def. Julia Huschke (M) 6-0, 6-1
4. Melissa Mang (D) def. Maggie MacKeever (M) 7-5, 6-0
5. Amanda Granson (D) def. Eleanor Peters (M) 7-5, 3-0, retired
6. Jessi Robinson (D) def. Lisa Miller (M) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 2,1,3*,5,4,6
1. #6 Mang/Granson (D) def. Amir/Miller (M) 8-5
2. Zsilinszka/Nze (D) def. Huschke/MacKeever (M) 8-5
3. Robinson/Iyer (D) def. Lundmark/Adela Matejkova (M) 8-3
Order of finish: 3,1*,2
Team Records: Duke (6-1, 1-0 ACC), Maryland (2-6, 0-1 ACC)
- d u k e -