Uploaded Ad
Duke Falls To Johns Hopkins In NCAA Semifinals, 10-9
Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
Release: 05/24/2008
article image
Photo Courtesy: Duke Photography
BDN+ Premium Content
Related Links

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – The Duke men’s lacrosse team fell to Johns Hopkins, 10-9, in NCAA Tournament semifinal action at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., on Saturday afternoon.

Duke ends the 2008 season at 18-2, while Johns Hopkins advances to the NCAA Championship game to face Syracuse.

Johns Hopkins took a 1-0 lead as Kevin Huntley scored on an assist from Michael Kimmel at 6:55.

Zack Greer scored on a feed from Matt Danowski at 4:07 to put the score at 1-1 before Max Quinzani netted a goal on a pass from Greer with 44.5 seconds left in the first period as the Blue Devils converted an extra-man opportunity. Quinzani’s goal marked his 60th of the year, as he and Greer became the first set of teammates in NCAA history to each score 60 or more goals in a season.

Brian Christopher knotted the score at 2-2 on an unassisted tally with 9:14 remaining in the second period and Steven Boyle scored at 5:35 to give the Blue Jays a 3-2 lead. Huntley scored on a pass from Boyle 14 seconds later to increase Johns Hopkins’ lead to 4-2.

Duke was held scoreless in the second quarter, marking just the fourth time this season the Blue Devils went without a tally in a period.  Duke’s two first half goals matched its lowest output in half in 2008, equaling the two markers scored in the second half against Georgetown on March 22.

Johns Hopkins began the scoring for the second half as Michael Doneger scored on a pass from Paul Rabil at 12:37 to put the score at 5-2.

Steve Schoeffel netted an unassisted score at 10:43 to bring the Blue Devils within two at 5-3 before Quinzani scored at 10:06 to put the score at 5-4. On the ensuing face-off, Terrence Molinari scored on a helper from Chris Tkac to knot the score at 5-5 with 9:58 remaining in the third period.

Rabil put Johns Hopkins ahead 6-5 with an unassisted tally at 7:27 before Huntley scored with time expiring in the third period to increase Johns Hopkins’ lead to 7-5.

Danowski netted an unassisted goal at 9:51 to put Duke within one at 7-6 before the Blue Jays went ahead 8-6 on a tally from George Castle at 7:25. Danowski struck again at 7:13 on a helper from Greer to put the score at 8-7 before Nick O'Hara knotted the score at 8-8 on an assist from Greer six seconds later.

Johns Hopkins converted an extra-man opportunity as Boyle scored at 6:39 to give the Blue Jays a 9-8 lead. Huntley then gave Johns Hopkins a two-goal cushion with 4:18 left on an assist from Kimmel.

Brad Ross drew Duke within a goal at 10-9 with 28 seconds left in the contest on a pass from Ned Crotty.

The Blue Jays won the ensuing face-off, but Duke got one more chance after Crotty picked up a ground ball. Coming out of a timeout with 3.9 seconds remaining, Danowski got a final shot off, but Matt Gvozden recorded his 17th save of the game to secure the 10-9 Johns Hopkins victory.

On the day, Greer (1 goal, 3 assists), Danowski (2 goals, 1 assist), and Quinzani (2 goals) led the way for the Blue Devils. Dan Loftus recorded 11 saves in the net.

For Johns Hopkins, Huntley recorded four goals while Boyle added two goals and an assist. Goalie Michael Gvodzen was credited with 17 saves.