DURHAM, N.C. - The 21st-ranked Blue Devils swept a doubleheader on Sunday, defeating both No. 34 Notre Dame and N.C. Central by 7-0 scores. With the two wins, Duke improves to 4-2 on the season.
Duke 7, Notre Dame 0
Duke fought off a persistent Notre Dame squad to win a 7-0 match today at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. The Blue Devils had two matches go into tiebreakers, winning both to close out the Fighting Irish.
"Our team showed a lot of toughness out there today and I am extremely encouraged with how well we competed," said head coach Ramsey Smith. "If all six guys can maintain that intensity, effort, and focus every match we are going to be in great shape this year. This was a big "bounce back" win for us after losing a close, emotional match to Illinois Friday night. You can find out a lot about the character of a team by the way they respond a disappointing loss."
The Blue Devils gutted out a close 9-8 victory over Notre Dame at No. 2 doubles. Dylan Arnould and David Holland won a 12-10 tiebreaker over Niall Fitzgerald and Stephen Havens that was tightly contested all the way. The match secured the doubles point for Duke before heading into singles play. The Duke tandem of Henrique Cunha and Reid Carleton continued their great play in doubles, taking a 8-4 match against Notre Dame's Casey Watt and Tyler Davis in the No. 1 position. The Blue Devils took four-straight games to finish off what started as a close match.
"The momentum of the match shifted our direction when we were able to squeak out the doubles point," said Smith. "Dylan and David saved several match points and simply willed their way through that doubles match."
At No. 3 doubles, Duke' Torsten Wietoska and Alain Michel dropped a 8-4 match to David Anderson and Daniel Stahl of Notre Dame. Down 6-1, the Blue Devils were able to grab several games before eventually falling to the Fighting Irish. It was the only match that Duke dropped to Notre Dame.
Cunha got the first singles victory at the No. 1 position for Duke with a 7-5, 1-0 win over Notre Dame's Watt. The match ended prematurely due to Watt retiring with an injury.
At No. 3 singles, Arnould got out to an early lead and did not let up, winning 6-0, 6-3 over Daniel Stahl from Notre Dame.
In No. 2 singles action, Carleton closed out Havens of Notre dame, 6-4, 6-3. Carelton won the last three games of the second set to put Duke ahead 4-0 in the overall match.
On court four, Jared Pinsky won a 7-5, 6-2 match over Notre Dame's Blas Moros.
Duke's Holland was down in the beginning of his match against Anderson of Notre Dame, but he stormed back to win 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 and give Duke a 6-0 lead in the match.
In the final singles match of the day, Duke's Michel pulled out a 7-5, 4-6 (12-10) tiebreaker win over Fitzgerald to preserve Duke's clean sweep of Notre Dame.
Tennis Match Results
Notre Dame vs Duke
Feb 07, 2010 at Durham, N.C.
#21 Duke 7, #34 Notre Dame 0
1. #8 Henrique Cunha/Reid Carleton (Duke) def. Casey Watt/Tyler Davis (ND) 8-4
2. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (Duke) def. Niall Fitzgerald/Stephen Havens (ND) 9-8 (12-10)
3. Daniel Stahl/David Anderson (ND) def. Torsten Wietoska/Alain Michel (Duke) 8-3
1. #17 Henrique Cunha (Duke) def. #18 Casey Watt (ND) 7-5, 1-0, retired
2. Reid Carleton (Duke) def. #93 Stephen Havens (ND) 6-4, 6-3
3. #62 Dylan Arnould (Duke) def. #95 Daniel Stahl (ND) 6-0, 6-3
4. Jared Pinsky (Duke) def. #73 Blas Moros (ND) 7-5, 6-2
5. Alain Michel (DU) def. Niall Fitzgerald (ND) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
6. David Holland (DU) def. David Anderson (ND) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
Duke (3-2), Ranked No. 21
Notre Dame (3-3), Ranked No. 34
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)
Duke 7, N.C. Central 0
In the evening match of the doubleheader, the Blue Devils put away N.C. Central with ease, winning all three doubles matches and all six singles contests in straight sets for a 7-0 win.
Duke claimed 8-0 victories at the No. 1 and 2 doubles spots. Carleton and Cunha improved to 22-4 in doubles while Arnould and Holland are now 5-3 after the win. Michel and Pinsky earned an 8-1 win at the No. 3 spot.
Two Duke players won by 6-0, 6-0 counts in singles. Luke Marchese and Aaron Carpenter each swept their opponents with Carpenter earning his first dual match victory of the year. David Lue also picked up a win in his first dual match outing, winning 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 6 spot in the order. Holland won his second match of the day, playing at No. 3 and cruising to a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Pinsky and Michel finished out the sweep with wins in the top two spots of the order.
Tennis Match Results
N.C. Central vs Duke
Feb. 07, 2010 at Durham, N.C.
#21 Duke 7, N.C. Central 0
1. #8 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (Duke) def. Alejandro Espitia/Jack Waissen (NCCU) 8-0
2. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (Duke) def. Trey Chatman/Bryan Jackson (NCCU) 8-0
3. Alain Michel/Jared Pinsky (Duke) def. Stephen Allsop/Jose Fabara (NCCU) 8-1
1. Jared Pinsky (Duke) def. Jack Waissen (NCCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Alain Michel (Duke) def. Jose Fabara (NCCU) 6-1, 6-2
3. David Holland (Duke) def. Alejandro Espitia (NCCU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Luke Marchese (Duke) def. Trey Chatman (NCCU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Aaron Carpenter (Duke) def. Bryan Jackson (NCCU) 6-0, 6-0
6. David Lue (Duke) def. Stephen Allsop (NCCU) 6-2, 6-1
N.C. Central 0-3
Duke 4-2; National ranking #21
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,4,2,3,6,1)