LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 33 Duke men's tennis team lost a close 4-3 match at No. 8 UCLA on Tuesday in Los Angeles, Calif.
"We came up a little short today, but we are improving and getting better with each match," said head coach Ramsey Smith. "Our doubles teams have been looking really good and our singles have looked good too. We are putting ourselves in position to win but just haven't been able to finish it off.
Duke has faced top 10 opponents in two straight matches, winning the doubles point against both No. 4 Texas and No. 8 UCLA, but falling short at the end in both contests.
"We are building towards the second half of the year and I am encouraged with our progress," said Smith. "We just need to keep improving and stay positive as a team and the results will come."
The Blue Devils came out strong in doubles, winning all three doubles matches to take the doubles point for the fifth straight match. Duke's No. 3 ranked duo of Reid Carleton and Henrique Cunha earned their seventh straight victory at No. 1, defeating No. 55 Haythem Abid and Nick Meister, 8-2, to improve to 25-4 on the year. Alain Michel and Torsten Wietoska clinched the point with an 8-5 win at No. 3 while Dylan Arnould and David Holland closed out the sweep, winning 8-7 in the No. 2 spot in the lineup.
Duke would eventually take a 3-0 lead in the match before UCLA stormed back with victories in four straight matches for the win. Cunha, the reigning ACC Player of the Week, continued his dominance at No. 1, cruising to a 6-2, 6-0 win over No. 40 Abid. Cunha is Duke's first 20-match winner of 2009-10, improving to 20-5 with a 9-3 record against ranked opponents. Wietoska picked up the Blue Devils' other point in singles with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Holden Seguso. Wietoska is now 10-7 overall in singles.
The match came down to the No. 2 position with the score tied 3-3. UCLA's No. 50 Matt Brooklyn and Duke's No. 70 Reid Carleton went to three sets with Brooklyn coming out on top 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 to give the Bruins the win.
UCLA improves to 7-3 on the year while Duke drops to 5-4. The Blue Devils will play another match in California on Wednesday, traveling to Malibu for a 1 p.m. (PT) match against No. 24 Pepperdine.
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs UCLA
March 9, 2010 at Los Angeles, Calif.
#8 UCLA 4, #33 Duke 3
1. #3 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (DU) def. #55 Haythem Abid/Nick Meister (UCLA) 8-2
2. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (DU) def. Matt Brooklyn/Amit Inbar (UCLA) 8-7
3. Alain Michel/Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Holden Seguso/Alex Brigham (UCLA) 8-5
1. #14 Henrique Cunha (DU) def. #40 Haythem Abid (UCLA) 6-2, 6-0
2. #50 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. #70 Reid Carleton (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
3. #118 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #63 Dylan Arnould (DU) 7-5, 7-5
4. Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Holden Seguso (UCLA) 6-3, 6-3
5. #92 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. David Holland (DU) 6-0, 7-5
6. Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Alain Michel (DU) 6-3, 7-6
Duke 5-4; National ranking #33
UCLA 7-3; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,4,5,6,3,2)