DURHAM, N.C. - Redshirt freshman linebacker August Campbell recovered two fumbles while sophomore wideout Conner Vernon caught five passes for 87 yards and a touchdown to highlight Duke's 65-snap scrimmage on Tuesday night at the Brooks Practice Facility.
Redshirt sophomore quarterback Sean Renfree completed 11-of-17 passes for 138 yards including a 33-yard scoring toss to Vernon. He also found rookie Brandon Braxton three times for 25 yards while junior Donovan Varner had two grabs for 22 yards.
"One of the first things that pleased me on both sides of the ball was so many young people making plays," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe said. "The play of Sean Renfree for the most part was consistent. He played the strategy of the game, threw the ball well and managed the offense well. The only negatives I saw were a couple of holding penalties in critical situations. Otherwise, I thought the offensive line played better than its played since we've been here."
Four Blue Devil running backs - Patrick Kurunwune, Desmond Scott, Josh Snead and Juwan Thompson - posted touchdowns on the ground with Snead bursting off tackle for a 49-yard scoring jaunt. Scott led the Blue Devils with 81 yards on four attempts with a long run of 51 yards while Kurunwune had 52 yards on four carries.
Campbell added one caused fumble and one pass break-up to his two fumble recoveries while junior safety Matt Daniels had one interception. Redshirt senior linebacker Abraham Kromah logged a pair of tackles for loss.
Duke opens the season on September 4 at home against Elon. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium.
- Tuesday's practice was the final scrimmage of the preseason for the Blue Devils as they approach Elon preparation over the next week and a half ... for the scrimmage the team was divided into a blue and a red team.
- The running backs and offensive line had a strong scrimmage ... the running back corps combined to rush for 195 yards on 12 carries with three runs over 20 yards ... sophomore Desmond Scott had runs of 51 and 21 yards while posting a team-best 81 yards on four carries ... redshirt sophomore Patrick Kurunwune notched over 10 yards on three of his four carries and freshman Josh Snead had a 49-yard touchdown run.
- The blue team scored on its first two possessions with a 33-yard pass from Sean Renfree to Conner Vernon and a 16-yard run by Kurunwune.
- Junior safety Matt Daniels not only had the only interception of the game but also had the biggest hit, sending a player out of bounds after a completion ... Daniels has developed a reputation as one of the hardest hitting players for the Blue Devils.
- The teams were put in an overtime scenario at the end of the scrimmage ... redshirt freshman August Campbell had a near interception on the second play and then recovered a fumble to end the red team's drive ... the blue team scored two plays later as Scott had runs of 21 and 4 yards to close out the day.
- The team was treated to watermelon after the late night practice ... the treat was provided by the Ebenezer Baptist Church.
Desmond Scott Post Scrimmage Intervew