Game 37 l NCAA Tournament Sweet 16
Duke (32-4, 13-3 ACC)
vs. Arizona (29-7, 14-4 Pac 10)
Thursday, March 24, 2011 l 9:45 p.m. l CBS
Honda Center l Anaheim, Calif.
The Opening Tip
- Duke (32-4, 13-3 ACC) faces Arizona (29-7, 14-4 Pac 10) on Thursday, March 24 at the Honda Center (Anaheim, Calif.) in the fourth round of the NCAA Tournament. Tipoff is set for 9:45 p.m. (EST).
- The game is being televised by CBS with Verne Lundquist (play-by-play), Bill Raftery (analyst) and Leslie Visser (sideline) calling the action.
- Duke won the ACC Tournament to claim an automatic bid and grab the No. 1 seed in the West Region, while Arizona received an at-large bid.
- Duke is ranked No. 3 in the AP Poll and No. 5 in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll. Arizona is 17th in the AP Poll and 15th in the Coaches Poll.
- The Blue Devils have won 19 of their 20 non-conference contests this season. Duke is 38-3 in non-league games over the last two seasons.
- Duke is 96-30 all-time in NCAA Tournament play, including a 0-1 mark in the state of California.
- The Blue Devils are 45-8 as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Duke has now claimed a No. 1 seed 12 times under Mike Krzyzewski.
- Duke has now advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament 26 times overall, including 20 times under Coach K. Duke has reached the Sweet 16 in 12 of the last 14 years.
- The Blue Devils are 6-3 all-time against Pac 10 opponents in the NCAA Tournament, including a 1-0 mark against Arizona.
- Duke topped Arizona, 82-72, in the 2001 NCAA Championship game in the only tournament meeting between the two schools.
- Duke has won four straight NCAA Tournament games against Pac 10 opponents, dating back to an 82-77 loss to California on March 20, 1993.
- Mike Krzyzewski is two wins shy of matching Bob Knight as the winningest coach in NCAA history. Krzyzewski became the second coach to record 900 career wins on Sunday.
- The Blue Devils have won 22 straight neutral site games dating back to a 77-54 loss to Villanova in the 2009 NCAA Tournament.
- Duke has advanced to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament 20 times under Mike Krzyzewski. The Blue Devils are looking for their 12th Elite Eight appearance under Coach K.
- Kyrie Irving returned to the court at the start of the NCAA Tournament after missing the previous 26 games with a right toe injury. Irving averaged 12.5 points per game in the two contests and has now reached double figures in all 10 games played this season.
- Nolan Smith is one of seven players at Duke to average over 20.0 points per game under Krzyzewski. Smith has topped the 20-point plateau in three of the last four games and 21 times overall this season.
- Kyle Singler has scored 607 points this season to join Art Heyman (1961-63) and Christian Laettner (1990-92) as the only other Blue Devils to reach the 600-point mark in three consecutive seasons.
- Nolan Smith is 25 points shy of moving into the top 15 of Duke’s all-time scoring chart. Smith’s 756 points this season ranks ninth on the Duke single-season chart and gives him 1,903 career points.
- Seth Curry leads the team in three-point field goals (64) and three-point percentage (.438). Curry has made two or more three-pointers in 18 games this season.
- Mason Plumlee has raised his rebound average 5.3 rebounds per game from a year ago. He ranks fifth in the ACC in rebounding at 8.4 rpg. and has grabbed 10 or more rebounds in 14 contests.
- Miles Plumlee is averaging 7.5 points and 7.8 rebounds per game over the last six contests. He is shooting 63.3 percent (19-of-30) from the field in that span.
- Ryan Kelly is averaging 9.2 points and shooting 62.5 percent (20-of-32) from the field during Duke’s current five-game win streak.
- Andre Dawkins has 10 three-point field goals in the last five games. He is averaging 8.4 points and shooting 40.0 percent from behind the arc in that span.
- Duke has scored 80 or more points in 19 games this season. The Blue Devils have won 34 consecutive games when scoring 80+ points.
- The Blue Devils are allowing 63.9 points per game -- the fourth-best scoring defense since 1951. Duke has held 11 opponents under 60 points in a game this season.