SAN DIEGO – Tenth-ranked Duke won the doubles point for the fifth consecutive match en route to collecting a 7-0 sweep of San Diego Thursday at the Aztec Tennis Complex. The non-conference meeting marked the first of the Blue Devils’ two-match road swing on the West Coast.
Duke (9-3, 1-0 ACC) began the contest by securing the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Senior Fred Saba and junior Raphael Hemmeler notched their first victory of the season from the No. 1 position, topping the Aztecs’ Andranik Khachatryan and Hunter Nicholas by an 8-4 score to improve to 7-1 overall. In the No. 3 matchup, junior Jason Tahir and sophomore Daniel McCall teamed up for the first time this year to edge Thorsten Bertsch and Milen Ianakiev of San Diego State, 8-7 (5).
Sophomore Bruno Semenzato, the 92nd-ranked player in the ITA’s most recent poll, began singles play with a 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Ianakiev in the No. 4 slot and classmate Josh Levine followed with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Maxi Boewer-Stellar on court six to extend the Blue Devils’ lead in the match to 3-0. Saba, the 58th-ranked singles player in the nation, then clinched from the No. 3 spot in the lineup, downing Freddy Gelbrich of the Aztecs 6-3, 6-2 to move to 7-2 in dual match play.
With the victory in hand, 40th-ranked Tahir delivered a 6-3, 6-4 decision against Nicholas in the No. 2 contest and 30th-ranked Michael Redlicki added a 7-6, 6-3 win over Bertsch on court one. Tahir, who was tabbed the ACC Men’s Tennis Player of the Week Tuesday, picked up his ninth-straight win while Redlicki moved to 6-1 at the top spot in the lineup. Hemmeler rounded out the match by outlasting San Diego State’s Hendrik Jebens in a third set tiebreaker on court five.
Up next, Duke will put its five-match win streak to the test against No. 2 Oklahoma Saturday, March 15. The two teams will square off on neutral courts at the University of San Diego at 5:30 p.m. ET.
#10 Duke 7, San Diego State 0
Mar 13, 2014 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
1. Fred Saba/Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Andranik Khachatryan/Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 8-4
2. Freddy Gelbrich/Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) vs. Cale Hammond/Bruno Semenzato (DU) 1-1, unfinished
3. Jason Tahir/Daniel McCall (DU) def. Thorsten Bertsch/Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 8-7 (8-5)
1. #30 Michael Redlicki (DU) def. Thorsten Bertsch (SDSU) 7-6, 6-3
2. #40 Jason Tahir (DU) def. Hunter Nicholas (SDSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. #58 Fred Saba (DU) def. Freddy Gelbrich (SDSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. #92 Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Hendrik Jebens (SDSU) 7-5, 4-6, 10-7
6. Josh Levine (DU) def. Maxi Boewer-Stelter (SDSU) 6-1, 6-3
Duke 9-3, 1-0 ACC; National ranking #10
San Diego State 7-6, 3-0 MW
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,6,3,2,1,5)