• The Duke pitching staff averages 8.88 strikeouts per game, a mark which ranks second in the ACC ... The Blue Devils also rank fourth in the league, issuing 3.34 walks per nine innings ... The Duke pitching corps has hit 16 batters this season, the lowest total of any ACC pitching staff.
Virginia Tech Series History
• Friday’s game marks the 54th meeting in program history between Duke and Virginia Tech ... The Blue Devils lead the all-time series, 28-24, including an 8-5 record against the Hokies in Blacksburg ... The series dates back to 1907, a 13-0 Duke victory ... Last season, the Hokies swept the Blue Devils in a three-game series at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park ... Two seasons ago, Duke swept Virginia Tech at English Field.
Duke in the ACC
• Duke enters the weekend with a 9-9 mark in conference action ... The Blue Devils are tied with North Carolina for seventh place in the ACC standings ... The Blue Devils rank third in the ACC in team ERA (3.10), third in fielding percentage (.977) while sitting in eighth in team batting average (.262) ... Duke was picked to finish fifth in the Coastal Division in the ACC Preseason Coaches Poll ... The Blue Devils are 353-1019-6 all-time in ACC games ... Duke holds a 674-1,027-8 record against teams currently in the ACC: Boston College (11-15), Clemson (66-126-2), Florida State (18-74), Georgia Tech (32-87), Maryland (85-83), Miami (9-24), NC State (126-152-1), North Carolina (96-182-3), Notre Dame (8-4), Pitt (4-4), Virginia (55-100-1), Virginia Tech (29-24) and Wake Forest (135-152-2) ... Duke is in search of its first ACC Tournament berth since 2009.
• Duke relies heavily on its defense and currently ranks third in the ACC with a .977 fielding percentage ... The Blue Devils are one of three ACC teams with 40 or fewer miscues on the season ... Duke has played errorless baseball in 17 of its 38 games ... Duke is the only team in the conference to commit fewer than 35 errors while totaling over 1,400 fielding chances ... The other three squads with 1,400 or more chances all have 45 or more errors: Georgia Tech (1,528 chances, 45 errors), Miami (1,534 chances, 49 errors) and Wake Forest (1,594 chances, 58 errors).
Run Game Success
• The Blue Devils have done well controlling the run game while also taking advantage of their stolen base opportunities ... Duke and Notre Dame are the only two ACC teams to swipe 40 or more bases while also limiting the opposition to 20 or fewer stolen bases ... The Blue Devils are one of four ACC teams to limit the opposition to 20 or fewer stolen bases on the year.
Van Orden Named ACC Pitcher of the Week
• Senior right-hander Drew Van Orden earned ACC Pitcher of the Week honors Monday ... Van Orden shut out the NC State for eight innings and struck out 11 to key the Blue Devils to a 2-0 victory in the series opener. ... The Manhattan Beach, Calif., native surrendered just three hits with one walk and did not face more than four batters in any inning. Van Orden struck out at least one Wolfpack hitter in each of this eight innings and fanned two in the first, second and fourth frames ... After the Blue Devils grabbed a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second, Van Orden retired 15 of the next 17 batters he faced to maintain the advantage heading into the ninth. The 6-3 right-hander yielded just one hit over his final five innings and did not permit a baserunner after the fifth ... Sophomore Michael Matuella also earned ACC Pitcher of the Week honors earlier this season ... Duke is the only school to have two different pitchers garner the distinction this season.