Please find below a list of disability services currently provided at Card Gymnasium. Prior to game day, please feel free to reach out to our disabilities coordinators at 919-668-6213 to help make arrangements for your visit or if you have any special needs, questions, or concerns regarding our accessibility and accommodations.
• General Public Accessible Parking for Guests with Disabilities – is available in the Whitford Lot (GPS Address: 110 Whitford Drive, Durham, NC 27708) located off Whitford Drive. Whitford drive can be accessed off Science Drive via either 751/Cameron Blvd or Towerview Rd. There will be a parking attendant on-site and no charge to park in the lot. The lot will open two (2) hours prior to the start of the match. If additional events cross over with the fencing competition, alternative parking may be required and will be communicated in a Parking & Traffic Alert on www.goduke.com/gameday.
• Accessible Drop-Off/Pick-Up Point – an accessible drop-off and pick-up point for persons with disabilities is available in the Whitford Drive Circle (GPS Address: 110 Whitford Drive, Durham, NC 27708).
• Accessible Entrances – All general public entrances to Card Gymnasium are accessible for guests with disabilities. All stadium doors open one (1) hour prior to the match.
• Seating for Guests with Disabilities - is available in the spectator seating areas adjacent to the competition area.
• Accessible Restrooms for Guests with Disabilities – Accessible restrooms are located in the Wilson Recreation Center, adjacent to Card Gymnasium, next to the weight room. Directional signage is posted in the facility to help direct patrons. You may ask the front desk for assistance.
• Accessible Restrooms for Persons with Disabilities – are located in the Wilson Recreation Center, adjacent to Card Gymnasium. Please see the front desk attendant for assistance.
It is strictly prohibited to bring alcohol into Card Gym. Individuals violating this policy are subject to ejection from the building.
A BB&T-ATM is located outside Scott Family Athletics Performance Center next to the Ticket Office windows. The ATM only dispenses cash ($20 increments) and does not take deposits.
BANNERS AND SIGNS
Banners and Signs are permitted inside Card Gym, however Duke reserves the right to prohibit or require the cessation of any display of a banner or sign that obstructs the view of other fans, obscures stadium signage, can be considered an advertisement, or is determined to be obscene, vulgar, indecent, inappropriate, or derogatory.
Bags are permitted into Card Gym. All bags are subject to bag checks upon arrival.
Hand-held still cameras are permitted for personal use only. No cameras are permitted into the building with a lens longer than four (4) inches. Video cameras are prohibited from filming competition.
There are no concessions sold in Card Gym during fencing events. No food or open beverage containers are permitted on the gym floor during the event.
Duke Athletics expects all fans to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner at all times before, during, and after the competition. We expect all fans to treat other fans, players, coaches and officials with courtesy. Please join us in creating a fun, safe, family atmosphere at Card Gym by not:
• Interfering with other guests’ ability to enjoy the game;
• Using/displaying foul or abusive language or gestures;
• Appearing to be intoxicated or in a diminished capacity;
• Entering the competition or restricted access areas;
• Smoking except in designated areas;
• Throwing objects onto the competition area or within the venue; or
• Otherwise being disorderly.
Violators are subject to ejection and possible arrest. Fans should contact event staff in Card Gym if they feel someone is not acting appropriately.
Listed below are the GPS addresses for match day parking. On the Duke University parking map, use the “Directions” button in the upper left corner to generate turn-by-turn directions from your starting location.
Whitford Parking Lot – Priority Parking for Guests with Disabilities
110 Whitford Drive Durham, NC 27708
Bassett Drive/Grounds—General Public Parking
110 Frank Bassett Drive Durham, NC 27708
DOORS / ENTRY
All doors to Card Gym will open one (1) hour prior to the start of the competition each day. Guests with purses, bags, and strollers are subject to search. Doors are located on the west side of the gym.
In case of emergency, contact the nearest Duke Athletics staff member or call Duke Police at (919) 684-2444. Blue light emergency phones are located in the game day parking areas.
• During any emergency inside the gym, follow the directions of the PA announcer, event staff and emergency responders.
• Always designate a pre-determined location both inside and outside the gym to meet friends and family in case you get separated or in the event of an emergency.
• Upon arriving at your seat location, first find the nearest exit and then locate an alternate exit in case of emergency.
• If you see or become aware of any activity that is unusual, suspicious or causes you concern, report the activity to the nearest event staff. Patrons may also tweet @Duke_GAMEDAY.
• Emergency vehicles may be present in and around the gym. Please do not obstruct the path of travel of a fire truck or emergency vehicle or interfere with any of their operations. Vehicles or objects (tables, tents, etc.) blocking emergency vehicles, designated fire lanes, stadium exits or exit paths, or vehicle/pedestrian traffic in general will be removed and dealt with in a manner deemed appropriate by stadium officials. Vehicles are subject to being towed at the owner's expense. Please do not obstruct any exits or exit pathways.
If you are in need of assistance or information, please seek out the nearest Event Staff member, the Event Manager, or contact Duke Game Operations on Twitter at @Duke_GAMEDAY.
A lactation room can be made available upon request.
LOST AND FOUND
If any article is lost or found in the gym, please inquire about or report the item to any event staff member or the Event Manager. Items turned in during the game will be dropped off to the Event Manager. All lost and found items not picked up prior to the end of the game will be available for pick-up starting Monday after the event by contacting Duke Game Operations at 919-668-5658 or email@example.com. Unclaimed lost and found items will be retained for thirty (30) days following the event. After that time, any unclaimed items will be discarded.
The Johnson Family Team Store, located in Scott Family Athletic Performance Center, is open for your shopping convenience. For store hours during the Duke Fencing meet, visit dukestores.duke.edu/hours.
Duke Fencing Parking Map
• General Public Parking – will be available on a first-come, first-serve basis in the Whitford Lot on Whitford Drive (GPS Address: 110 Whitford Drive) and Grounds Lot off of Frank Bassett Drive (GPS Address: 110 Frank Bassett Drive). There is no charge to park. For pedestrian routes from the parking areas to Card Gym, please see the Duke Fencing Meet Parking Map linked up. All pedestrian routes are accessible.
• Parking Lot Hours – all game day parking lots open two (2) hours prior to the start of competition. All cars must be removed from the parking lots by two (2) hours post-match.
• Accessible Parking for Guests with Disabilities – will be located in the Whitford Lot (GPS Address: 110 Whitford Drive, Durham, NC) located on Whitford Drive, a short walk to Card Gym. There is no charge to park.
• Accessible Drop-off and Pick-Up Point for Guests with Disabilities – will be available at the Whitford Drive circle, located just outside the Whitford Lot parking gates at the end of Whitford Drive (GPS Address: 110 Whitford Drive, Durham NC).
• Pedestrian Routes to Cameron Indoor Stadium/Card Gym
- From the Grounds Lot follow the walkway along the west side of Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. Access into Tribull Plaza on the south side of Cameron Indoor Stadium is through the stairwells located outside Bostock Gate. The accessible access to Tribull Plaza is via the ramp located next to the Scott Family Performance Center/Murray Building.
- From Frank Bassett Drive near Science Drive, head north up the stairs and walk along the east side of Morris Williams Stadium (track) which will lead directly to Whitford Drive.
- Accessible routes from Frank Bassett Drive begin at the corner of Bassett Drive and Science Drive. Make way towards Morris Williams Stadium/Koskinen Stadium and take a left to follow the pathway along the east side of Morris Williams Stadium. This will lead directly to Whitford Drive.
• Parking Disclaimer
- Duke University assumes no responsibility for loss through fire, theft, collision, or otherwise to the car or contents. Vehicles are parked at Owner's Risk. Please lock your vehicle.
• Parking Emergency Information
- In case of emergency please 919-684-2444 for Duke Police Emergency Dispatch or dial 9-1-1 for Durham County. Duke Police will be the primary responder on-campus for emergency calls. Durham Police will be the primary responder off-campus for emergency calls. If an emergency occurs and authorities are contacted, please designate someone in your party to help direct emergency personnel to the emergency location.
All pets (including dogs) are prohibited inside Card Gym. (Exception: Service animals are allowed to assist those with disabilities)
PRESS AND MEDIA ACCESS
Only Duke Personnel and approved media and photographers will be allowed into the press areas. All media or photographers should contact the Duke Sports Information office at least two days prior to the day of the meet to confirm approval.
For the safety and game day experience of all guests, the following items are prohibited from entering the venue:
• Alcoholic beverages
• Artificial noisemakers
• Balls and Frisbees
• Cameras w/lens over 4 inches
• Coolers and Containers (ice chests or other like containers)
• All Drones and Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) – https://drones.duke.edu/policies
• Food and open beverage containers
• Hazardous Materials
• Items obstructing sightlines of other fans
• Laser Pointers
• Outside chairs (lounge chairs, folding chairs, etc.)
• Pets (except service animals)
• Selfie Sticks
• Shoes with wheels (wheelies)
• Weapons (including pocket knives)
Duke University reserves the right to deny anyone or anything from entering the gym. Any such items should be returned to your vehicle and/or discarded. All fans are subject to search before entering the gym.
For the safety of all in attendance, bags/items are not permitted to be left unattended outside of Card Gymnasium. Unattended bags/items found outside the stadium will be dealt with in in a manner deemed appropriate by stadium officials, including but not limited to disposal. Duke University and Duke Athletics are not responsible for loss of any unattended items.
Restrooms in Card Gym open one (1) hour prior to the start of competition each day. Men’s Restrooms are located in the basement of Card Gym on the west side below the main entrance. Women’s Restrooms are located in the basement of Card Gym on the east side below the Wilson Rec Center. Accessible restrooms are located inside the Wilson Recreation Center. Please see the front desk attendant for assistance.
Seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis on the bleachers surrounding the competition area. There is no spectator seating on the upper level. Accessible seating is available at the end of each bleacher.
Smoking (including e-cigarettes & vaping) is not allowed in Card Gym. If you must exit the venue to smoke please do so outside the facility and away from any entry doors.
All Duke home fencing events at Card Gym are free to the public and no tickets are necessary.
Umbrellas are permitted inside Card Gym. For the safety of the competing student-athletes, please keep umbrellas away from the competition area. For the courtesy and safety of all guests, we ask that umbrellas are not opened inside Card Gym and are stored against the gym wall away from the competition area.