NEW HAVEN, Conn. – The Duke women’s tennis team finished its trip to the ITA Team Indoor Championship with a 4-0 loss to Vanderbilt on Sunday evening at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center on the campus of Yale University. The Blue Devils and Commodores both own 4-3 overall records.
Vanderbilt captured the first two doubles decisions to take an early 1-0 lead in the match. On court three, Fernanda Contreras and Sydney Campbell topped Samantha Harris and Rebecca Smaller 6-2. After a 1-1 tie, the Commodore duo won four straight games to seize control and finish out the match. Harris and Smaller dip to 2-4 overall, all in dual matches.
Court two had Vanderbilt finish the point with a 6-3 win by Emma Kurtz and Christina Rosca against Chalena Scholl and Alyssa Smith. Duke took an early 2-0 lead in the set before it was tied at 2-2 and 3-3. The Commodores won the final three games to gain the victory. Scholl and Smith are now 6-4 overall and 4-3 in dual action.
The Commodores made it a 2-0 lead with No. 8 Campbell defeating Harris 6-2, 6-3 on court one. Harris trailed 5-1 in the opening set but took 2-0 and 3-1 leads in the second set before Campbell captured the final five games. Harris slips to 4-6 and 2-5 against dual match foes.
Vanderbilt pushed the lead to three points in the second position, where No. 4 Sharma topped No. 21 Chi 6-0, 7-5. Sharma won the first eight games of the match before Chi answered with four straight to take a 4-2 advantage in the second set. Sharma bounced back with wins in five of the final six games. Chi suffers just her second loss in dual matches and is 20-8 overall and 5-2 in dual action.
It was a court six victory for Emily Smith against Smaller that clinched the match for the Commodores as Smith won 6-3, 7-5. The opening set was even at 3-3 before Smith pulled out the last three games. The second set had Smaller convert a 2-2 tie into leads of 4-2 and 5-3, only to have Smith win the final four games. Smaller falls to 4-7 overall and 3-3 in dual match play.
Duke will have more than a week off before returning to action Wednesday, February 22 at N.C. State for its ACC opener. First serve versus the Wolfpack is slated for 5 p.m.
No. 9 Vanderbilt 4, No. 10 Duke 0
February 12, 2017 at New Haven, Conn. (Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center)
1. #24 Astra Sharma/Emily Smith (VANDY) vs. #25 Meible Chi/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) 5-4, unfinishe
2. Emma Kurtz/Christina Rosca (VANDY) def. Chalena Scholl/Alyssa Smith (DU) 6-3
3. Fernanda Contreras/Sydney Campbell (VANDY) def. Samantha Harris/Rebecca Smaller (DU) 6-2
1. #8 Sydney Campbell (VANDY) def. Samantha Harris (DU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #4 Astra Sharma (VANDY) def. #21 Meible Chi (DU) 6-0, 7-5
3. #46 Christina Rosca (VANDY) vs. #37 Chalena Scholl (DU) 3-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
4. Georgina Sellyn (VANDY) vs. #125 Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) 7-6 (7-4), 2-1, unfinished
5. Emma Kurtz (VANDY) vs. Alyssa Smith (DU) 6-3, 3-6, unfinished
6. Emily Smith (VANDY) def. Rebecca Smaller (DU) 6-3, 7-5
Duke 4-3; National ranking #10
Vanderbilt 4-3; National ranking #9
Order of finish: Doubles (,2,3); Singles (1,2,6)