FORT WORTH, Texas – A tight doubles point that went in favor of the Duke men’s tennis team and a double winning day for junior Ryan Dickerson Saturday helped push the Blue Devils to a 4-2 victory against Louisville and into the ITA Kick-Off Weekend championship match Sunday.
Dickerson and classmate Jason Lapidus picked up a doubles victory and Dickerson clinched the match with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-0 victory against Brandon Lancaster on court five.
With Saturday’s victory, Duke lifts its program record to 4-0 against the Cardinals and improves to 12-2 in ITA Kick-Off Weekend competition. The Blue Devils are also 37-15 (.712 winning percentage) the last four-plus years versus nonconference foes.
Duke took the early lead on Saturday, capturing the doubles point for the second-straight match with victories on courts two and three. The Blue Devils got the first decision with Dickerson and Lapidus earning a 6-2 win versus Nicolas Rouanet and Federico Gomez on court two.
Once in singles, the Cardinals tied the match at 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory by Headley against Lapidus on court six. Louisville then took the lead at 2-1 overall as No. 115 Wynn fought past Furman, ranked No. 81, 6-3, 6-2 on court two.
For the second-straight match, Duke answered with three consecutive singles wins to clinch the victory. The comeback trail began on court four with Sculley picking up a 6-3, 6-2 win against Gomez. Stachowiak gave Duke the lead back at 3-2 when he downed Rouanet 6-4, 6-2 on court three.
In the match-ending contest, Dickerson came from behind to top Lancaster and clinch his first match of the year.
Duke returns to action at 2 p.m. Sunday to take on San Diego. The winner will advance to the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championship, held in Seattle, February 16-18.
#24 Duke 4, Louisville 2
January 27, 2018 at Fort Worth, Texas (Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
1. #6 Parker Wynn/ Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) def. Nick Stachowiak/Sean Sculley (DU) 6-3
2. Ryan Dickerson/Jason Lapidus (DU) def. Nicolas Rouanet/Federico Gomez (LOU) 6-2
3. Catalin Mateas/Spencer Furman (DU) def. Ciro Lampasas/George Hedley (LOU) 7-5
1. #75 Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) vs. Catalin Mateas (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 4-4, unfinished
2. #115 Parker Wynn (LOU) def. #81 Spencer Furman (DU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nick Stachowiak (DU) def. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Sean Sculley (DU) def. Federico Gomez (LOU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Ryan Dickerson (DU) def. Brandon Lancaster (LOU) 1-6, 6-2, 6-0
6. George Hedley (LOU) def. Jason Lapidus (DU) 6-1, 6-3
Duke 2-0; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,2,4,3,5)