SEATTLE – The No. 20 Duke men’s tennis team was swept 4-0 by No. 2 Ohio State in the first round of the ITA Team Indoor Championship on Friday morning at the Nordstrom Tennis Center. The Blue Devils faced a stacked Buckeyes’ lineup with four ranked singles players and two ranked doubles teams.
Ohio State captured the doubles point with 6-3 victories on courts one and three. It was court three with the first decision as the No. 43 team of Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert topped juniors Jason Lapidus and Ryan Dickerson. The Buckeye pair got out to a 3-0 lead and pushed it to 5-1 before a Duke break and hold had the duo trailing 5-3. Ohio State served out for the victory. Dickerson and Lapidus fall to 3-4 overall, all in dual matches.
The Buckeyes finished the point on court one, where Mikael Torpegaard and Martin Joyce, the No. 25 team in the country, downed freshman Sean Sculley and sophomore Nick Stachowiak. The two teams were even at 1-1 and 2-2 before Ohio State broke and held to open up the margin in needed. Duke got it to one at 4-3, but the Buckeye pair held and broke to capture the victory. Sculley and Stachowiak fall to 9-6 overall and 4-4 in dual action.
Ohio State made it a 2-0 advantage from court five, where No. 30 Kyle Seelig defeated Dickerson, 6-0, 6-2. Dickerson dips to 12-6 overall and 5-3 in dual matches.
The third point for OSU came on court six with Joyce holding off sophomore Robert Levine, 6-3, 6-4. Levine trailed 4-0 in the first set before cutting the deficit to 4-2, but Joyce took two of the final three games. The second set was even at 1-1 and 2-2 before Joyce opened up a 5-2 advantage. Levine got two games back but could not force a third tie in the set. Levine falls to 5- 5 overall and 2-4 versus dual competition.
Finishing the sweep for Ohio State was Tim Seibert on court four, where he defeated Sculley 6-4, 6-2. The first set was tied at 1-1 and 2-2 before Seibert used a break to open up leads of 3-2 and 5-3. Sculley got it down to 5-4, but Siebert took the final game. In the second set, Sculley was broken in game one and Siebert pushed leads to 2-0, 3-1 and 5-2 before closing out the match. Sculley drops to 11-6 overall and 3-3 in dual action.
Duke returns to action at 12 noon ET on Saturday versus No. 10 Illinois at the Nordstrom Tennis Center.
#2 Ohio State 4, #20 Duke 0
February 16, 2018 at Seattle, Wash. (Nordstrom Tennis Center)
1. #25 Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Nick Stachowiak/Sean Sculley (DU) 6-3
2. John McNally/JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Nicolas Alvarez/Catalin Mateas (DU) 4-5, unfinished
3. #43 Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Jason Lapidus/Ryan Dickerson (DU) 6-3
1. #5 Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) vs. #53 Nicolas Alvarez (DU) 2-6, 5-2, unfinished
2. #41 JJ Wolf (OSU) vs. Catalin Mateas (DU) 6-2, 5-5, unfinished
3. #56 John McNally (OSU) vs. Nick Stachowiak (DU) 3-6, 6-2, 2-1, unfinished
4. Tim Seibert (OSU) def. Sean Sculley (DU) 6-4, 6-2
5. #30 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Ryan Dickerson (DU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Robert Levine (DU) 6-3, 6-4
Duke 6-3; National ranking #20
Ohio State 9-0; National ranking #2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,6,4)