DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced an addition to the nation’s No. 1 recruiting class on Friday as Zion Williamson signed his National Letter of Intent to attend Duke University and play for the Blue Devils next season.
The 6-foot-6 Williamson, rated as the nation’s No. 2 prospect by ESPN, joins a trio of highly-regarded Blue Devils that signed in November – R.J. Barrett, Tre Jones and Cam Reddish. With the Spartanburg, S.C. native Williamson, Duke has the ESPN No. 1 (Barrett), No. 2 (Williamson), No. 3 (Reddish) and No. 10 (Jones) ranked players in this year’s class.
“It’s unbelievable that Zion will be joining our program,” said Krzyzewski. “He and his family are first class. We’re not only bringing Zion in, but his entire family. Zion is a unique player and certainly one of the most gifted athletes that has come into the ACC. He’s heck of a basketball player and a young man, and an outstanding leader."
Williamson is the 63rd McDonald’s All-American inked by Coach K – the most by any coach. Krzyzewski has signed at least one McDonald’s All-American in 33 consecutive years.
Zion Williamson // 6-6 // 272 // Spartanburg, S.C. // Spartanburg Day School
- Five-star recruit ranked as the No. 2 overall prospect in the class of 2018 by ESPN
- Honored as a McDonald’s All-American
- Represented Team USA at the Nike Hoop Summit
- Rated as the No. 5 overall prospect and the No. 3 small forward in the class by Rivals.com
- Ranked No. 5 overall and the No. 1 power forward in the 2018 recruiting class by Scout.com
- Ranked No. 5 overall and the No. 1 power forward in the 2018 24/7 Sports composite list
- Led Spartanburg Day School to three consecutive South Carolina Class AA state championships
- Averaged 36.4 points, 11.4 rebounds and 3.5 assists during his high school career
- Racked up 37 points, 17 rebounds and six blocks in the 2018 state championship game and 51 points in the 2017 edition
- Named by USA Today to the 2017 and 2018 American Family Insurance All-USA Boys Basketball First Team
- Led the USA Red Team to the 2017 adidas Nations Championship