|No. 2 Duke vs. No. 12 Texas Tech
|When: Dec. 18 | 7:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Madison Square Garden|
|Watch Live: ESPN 2|
|Listen Live: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- No. 2 Duke makes its 53rd visit to Madison Square Garden Thursday night for a top-15 showdown versus No. 12 Texas Tech in the Ameritas Insurance Classic.
- The Blue Devils are 34-18 all-time at MSG, making the “World’s Most Famous Arena” the sixth-winningest Duke venue, and the winningest outside the state of North Carolina.
- Duke and Texas Tech, a pair of Elite Eight teams last year, are meeting for the first time in men’s basketball.
- This game marks Duke’s fourth against a top-15 ranked team. No team in the country has played more than three.
- Freshman RJ Barrett leads the ACC in scoring (24.5), just ahead of classmate Zion Williamson, who is second (20.1).
- With Barrett and Williamson, Duke is one of only two teams nationally to have multiple players averaging 20+ points per game. They are the only freshman duo doing so.
- Duke leads the country in blocked shots (8.1) and scoring margin (+29.4), and leads the ACC in field goal defense (.367), rebounds (46.2) and steals (11.2).
- Junior Javin DeLaurier is 11-of-11 from the field over the last three games. He is 15-of-17 (.882) over the last four games with 32 points and 17 rebounds.
- Freshman Tre Jones leads the ACC in assist-turnover ratio (5.17) and total assists (62). He has 29 assists and four turnovers over the last five games.
- Duke is ranked this week for the 800th time in the AP poll -- the third most in poll history.
Duke at Madison Square Garden
Thursday’s game at Madison Square Garden marks Duke’s 53rd game at current MSG, and the Blue Devils are 34-18 in the venue (29-11 under Mike Krzyzewski)…Duke is 40-25 in all versions of MSG, dating back to a February 4, 1938, game versus St. John’s…Duke has played at least once at MSG in each of the last six seasons, in 16 of the last 17, and 19 of the last 21…Duke is 68-27 all-time in the greater NYC area, including games in Brooklyn (7-1) and East Rutherford, N.J. (21-1)…MSG has seen the sixth-most Duke wins (34) of any venue in the country, behind only Cameron Indoor Stadium, Greensboro Coliseum, Reynolds Coliseum, and former Duke home venues Card Gym and Duke Gym…Coach K achieved a pair of milestones at MSG: His 903rd career victory to pass Bobby Knight as the winningest coach in NCAA Division I history (74-69 vs. Michigan State, 11/15/11) and his 1,000th career (77-68 vs. St. John’s, 1/25/15).
Duke in NBA Arenas
For a college team that has produced the second most current NBA players (25), Duke has been tough to beat when playing in NBA venues…Duke is a combined 79-31 (.718) in 12 current NBA venues, which includes a 34-18 mark at Madison Square Garden…The Blue Devils have won 10 of their last 12 at NBA venues, including a 114-84 win over Kentucky at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in this year’s Champions Classic.
On This Date
Duke is 15-7 all-time when playing on December 20, with two of those previous games coming at Madison Square Garden -- an 89-61 win over No. 11 Texas in 2003 and a 65-64 loss in overtime to No. 11 Pitt in 2007…The Blue Devils most recent game on December 20 came last season -- a 104-60 win over Evansville at Cameron.
Duke vs. Texas Tech
Duke and Texas Tech are meeting for the first time in men’s basketball…The Blue Devils are 37-12 all-time versus current members of the Big 12 Conference.
The schools met in this past season’s NCAA Baseball Super Regional as Duke made its first Super Regional appearance.