|No. 1 Duke vs. Syracuse
|When: Jan. 14 | 7:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Cameron Indoor Stadium|
|Watch Live: ESPN|
|Listen Live: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- Putting a nine-game winning streak on the line, No. 1 Duke welcomes Syracuse on Big Monday in a rematch of last season’s Sweet 16 clash.
- Duke is the only team in the top five nationally in both offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency, currently ranked third in defense and fourth in offense.
- Duke’s five games versus AP top 15 ranked opponents are the most in the nation, and the Blue Devils are 4-1 in those games. All have come away from home.
- Fresh off a 32-point effort at Florida State, freshman RJ Barrett continues to lead the ACC in scoring at 23.4 points per game -- 13th nationally and third among NCAA freshmen.
- With 351 points, Barrett has more points than any previous Duke freshman through a season’s first 15 games.
- Barrett and Zion Williamson are the only pair of teammates in the NCAA each averaging 20 points per game. Williamson is tied for second in the ACC at 20.3 points, which is 33rd in the NCAA and fourth among NCAA freshmen.
- Freshman Tre Jones leads the ACC and is second nationally in assist-turnover ratio (5.93). He has turned the ball over just 15 times in 15 games this season.
- Junior Javin DeLaurier has made 18 consecutive field goals -- two shy of tying the ACC record set by Duke’s Alaa Abdelnaby during the 1988-89 season (20).
- Should Duke remain No. 1 on Jan. 14, Coach K will surpass John Wooden for most weeks ranked No. 1 by a coach (122).
Duke vs. Syracuse
Monday’s game is just the 13th all-time meeting between Duke and Syracuse, with the Blue Devils leading 7-5…Duke swept a pair of meetings last season, winning 60-44 at Cameron Indoor on February 24 and 69-65 in the NCAA Sweet 16 in Omaha…The Blue Devils are scheduled to play the Orange again on February 23 at the Carrier Dome…Since Syracuse joined the ACC, Duke leads the series 5-3…Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim served as an assistant on Mike Krzyzewski’s Team USA staffs that won Olympic gold medals in 2008, 2012 and 2016…The two head coaches are first and second, respectively, in all-time Division-I victories -- Coach K with 1,114 and Boeheim with 937.
Barrett Nets 3rd 30-point Game
RJ Barrett posted his third 30-point effort in Saturday’s win at Florida State, pouring in 32 points on 10-of-19 from the field including a career-high four three-pointers…The three 30-point games are the second-most by a Duke freshman behind the ACC record seven by Marvin Bagley III last season..he 32 points were one shy of the career high 33 he scored versus Kentucky, and two shy of the Duke freshman record.
Including Monday’s game versus Syracuse, four of the Blue Devils’ last five opponents have come against Sweet 16 teams from last season, including two Elite 8 teams…Texas Tech and Florida State reached last season’s Elite 8, while Syracuse and Clemson were in the Sweet 16…Those four teams are a combined 49-15 this season -- Texas Tech (15-1), Clemson (10-6), FSU (13-3), and Syracuse (11-5).
Duke is 4-1 versus ranked opponents this season -- each has been ranked 13th or better, including a 80-78 win at No. 13 Florida State on Saturday…The Blue Devils have played an NCAA-leading five this season versus an AP top 15 team -- each of those five has come away from Cameron Indoor Stadium…Marquette has played four versus AP top 15 teams (3-1), while no other team has played more than three…Duke and Kansas remain the only programs this season with multiple wins over AP top 10 teams.