|No. 2 Duke at Pittsburgh
|When: Jan. 22 | 9:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Petersen Events Center|
|Watch Live: ESPN|
|Listen Live: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- Duke, one of six teams tied atop the early ACC standings at 4-1, is on the road Tuesday night for a meeting with the Pittsburgh Panthers at the Petersen Events Center.
- The Blue Devils are facing former player and associate head coach Jeff Capel for the first time as Pitt’s head coach.
- Capel is one of six former Duke players under head coach Mike Krzyzewski that is now a Division-I head coach.
- Duke is 5-1 versus teams ranked in the AP top 15 this season -- the most games, and wins, of any team nationally.
- Zion Williamson broke Duke’s single-game freshman scoring record with 35 points in the Syracuse game. He is second in the ACC in scoring (21.5) and is the nation’s only player averaging 20+ points and shooting .600+ from the field.
- Freshman RJ Barrett continues to lead the ACC in scoring at 23.8 points per game -- 11th nationally and third among NCAA freshmen. He has scored 30+ in two of the last three games.
- Barrett and Williamson are the only pair of teammates in the NCAA each averaging 20+ points per game.
- Junior Javin DeLaurier has made 19 consecutive field goals -- one shy of tying the ACC record set by Duke’s Alaa Abdelnaby during the 1988-89 season (20).
- With Williamson missing the second half at Florida State (eye), Tre Jones missing all but six minutes of the last two games (shoulder), and Cam Reddish out versus Syracuse (illness), Duke has played 108 of the last 125 minutes without at least one starter and gone 2-1 in that stretch.
Duke vs. Pitt
Duke is 11-7 all-time versus Pitt, which includes a 5-1 mark since the Panthers entered the ACC in the 2013-14 season…Under Coach K, the Blue Devils are 5-2 in the series…Duke is 2-1 versus Pitt at Petersen Events Center…Last season at Pitt, Marvin Bagley III scored 16 to lead a 87-52 win over the Panthers…In Durham, Wendell Carter Jr., scored 21 as Duke swept the season series with an 81-54 victory.
Duke Away From Cameron
In the Coach K era, Duke is 247-140 (.638) in true road games and 267-76 (.778) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 514-216 (.704) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 178-115 (.608) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 122-62 (.663) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K has also won 15 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
Top 25 Success
Duke has played an NCAA-leading six games versus an AP top 15 opponents, including five away from Cameron…The Blue Devils’ 5-1 record versus top 15 opponents leads the nation…Duke joins Kansas (5-1) as the only teams with five wins versus top 25 foes. The next-most top 25 wins belong to Michigan (4-0) and Virginia (4-1)…Marquette, Pitt and Texas have each played four versus AP top 15 teams. No other team has played more than three…Duke and Kansas remain the only programs this season with multiple wins over AP top 10 teams...Duke is ranked No. 2 in the NCAA’s latest NET ranking, with a schedule ranked third-toughest. The Blue Devils are the only team in the NET’s top 10 with a top-10 strength of schedule.
Coach K's Coaching Tree
Jeff Capel is the sixth former Blue Devil to play under Mike Krzyzewski that is now a head coach at the Division-I level…Capel was named Pitt’s coach in March after seven years on Coach K’s staff, including four as associate head coach…Twenty-five of Coach K’s former players, and nine former assistants or staffers, are currently either coaching or working in front office roles across professional and college basketball.
Zion Sets Duke Frosh Record
Freshman Zion Williamson broke Duke’s freshman single-game scoring record with 35 last Monday versus Syracuse…The freshman was 12-of-20 from the field, hit a three and was 10-of-14 at the free throw to break a record previously held by J.J. Redick (34 points vs. Virginia, 1/15/03) and Marvin Bagley III (34 points vs. Texas, 11/24/17)…It was his second 30-point game this season, and eighth double-double.
RJ Barrett posted his fourth 30-point effort in Saturday’s win over Virginia, pouring in 30 points on 11-of-19 from the field and playing all 40 minutes…Barrett also had 32 in last Saturday’s win at Florida State…His four 30-point games are second most by a Duke freshman. Marvin Bagley III set the ACC record with seven. The 32 points were one shy of the career high 33 he scored versus Kentucky.