LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Duke men’s tennis team earned its first doubles point of the season, but ultimately fell short in singles play, dropping a 4-1 decision to Kentucky on Monday afternoon at the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex. The Wildcats improved to 3-1 on the season, while the loss was Duke’s first of the campaign (2-1).
“I was pleased with our doubles and I felt like we did a great job at all three spots, going after it and being aggressive” said head coach Ramsey Smith. “Credit to Kentucky for playing very well in singles play and grabbing the momentum early on. We had some chances in singles but we weren’t able to capitalize today.”
Duke started off hot, earning the doubles point after Elon and Arizona State grabbed the respective point from the Blue Devils in matches earlier this season. Senior Jason Lapidus and sophomore Sean Sculley (court two) won by a score of 6-2, defeating the Wildcat duo of Theo McDonald and Ryo Matsumura, while senior duo Catalin Mateas and Vincent Lin (court three) won by a margin of 6-4 against Kevin Kuempfner and Kento Yamada. Juniors Nick Stachowiak and Spencer Furman were tied at 5-5 before Mateas and Lin sealed the point.
Kentucky earned its first point of the afternoon in singles play on court four, as Cesar Bourgois defeated Mateas 6-1, 6-3, to tie the match up at one. Matsumura put the Wildcats in front with a court one victory over Stachowiak, 6-4, 6-2. Furman forced a set one tiebreak with his opponent Enzo Wallart on court three, however, was unable to come out on top as Wallart took the set 7-6 and won set two 6-0.
On court five, Yamada clinched the match for Kentucky with a 6-2, 6-2, victory over junior Robert Levine. Sculley was tied at 6-6 in the third set on court number three, but him and Lin (2-6, 3-2) on court six went unfinished.
The Blue Devils next compete in the ITA Kickoff, hosted by North Carolina, on Friday against Middle Tennessee at 10 a.m.
Kentucky 4, Duke 1
Jan 21, 2019 at Lexington, Ky. (Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex)
1. Cesar Bourgois/Enzo Wallart (UK) vs. Nick Stachowiak/Spencer Furman (DU) 5-5, unfinished
2. Jason Lapidus/Sean Sculley (DU) def. Theo McDonald/Ryo Matsumura (UK) 6-2
3. Catalin Mateas/Vincent Lin (DU) def. Kevin Huempfner/Kento Yamada (UK) 6-4
1. Ryo Matsumura (UK) def. Nick Stachowiak (DU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Enzo Wallart (UK) def. Spencer Furman (DU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
3. Theo McDonald (UK) vs. Sean Sculley (DU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-6, unfinished
4. Cesar Bourgois (UK) def. Catalin Mateas (DU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Kento Yamada (UK) def. Robert Levine (DU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kevin Huempfner (UK) vs. Vincent Lin (DU) 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,1,2,5)