Duke at No. 8 NC State
Duke at Old Dominion
Jan. 25, 2019 | 7 p.m. | ACC Network Extra
Jan. 27, 2019 | 1 p.m. | Monarch Media ($)
Raleigh, N.C. | Reynolds Coliseum
Norfolk, Va. | Ted Constant Center
About Weekend Matches
- Duke’s first trip of the weekend is 30 miles East to ACC foe NC State. The match will be streamed live on ACC Network Extra and tickets are $5 for youth and $7 for adults. Fans can watch on the WatchESPN app.
- The Blue Devils head to Old Dominion Sunday to wrap up January duals. The dual will be streamed live on Monarch Media with the purchase of a subscription. Tickets to attend are $6.
Duke Blue Devils
2018-19 Record (ACC): 2-2 (0-0)
Head Coach Glen Lanham (Oklahoma State ‘88)
* Rankings are InterMat (1/22)
NC State Wolfpack
2018-19 Record (ACC): 12-2 (0-0)
USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll : 8
Head Coach: Pat Popolizio (Oklahoma State ‘01)
NC State Lineup
* Rankings are InterMat (1/22)
Old Dominion Monarchs
2018-19 Record (MAC): 5-5 (3-2)
USA Today/NWCA Coaches Poll: RV
Head Coach: Steve Martin (Iowa ‘91)
* Rankings are InterMat (1/22)
Duke by the Numbers
82 – Career wins for Mitch Finesilver, eight shy of becoming the 11th Blue Devil to record 90 victories
1 – Rematch from the 2018 dual with NC State - Matt Finesilver vs. Thomas Bullard at 174 pounds
6 – Of the seven remaining Duke opponents ranked in the top 25 or receiving votes
12 – Top 20 opponents Mitch Finesilver will have faced this season after he wrestles No. 8 Justin Oliver of NC State Friday
8-3 – Mitch’s record against top 20 opponents
4 – Blue Devils who made the Dean’s List in the fall semester, registering at least a 3.85 GPA
5 – More wins needed for Mitch Finesilver to move into a tie for 13th on Duke’s career wins list
2 – Top 10 opponents awaiting Duke sophomore Benjamin Anderson this weekend
21 – NCAA qualifiers under head coach Glen Lanham since he took over the reins in 2012
45 – Blue Devil NCAA qualifiers from 1955-2011
- Duke and NC State are meeting for the 85th time since the first meeting in 1927. The Wolfpack leads the series 62-21-1 with the last Blue Devil victory coming in 2015.
- The Blue Devils grapple against Old Dominion for the fifth time overall and for the third straight season. The series is tied 2-2, but Duke owns the two most recent victories, including a 19-16 win last season in Durham.
Last Time Out
- Navy won the final two bouts to pull away from a 16-16 tie and spoil Duke’s comeback attempt for a 22-16 victory in Alumni Hall. The Blue Devils rallied from a 13-0 deficit, but couldn’t quite complete the comeback. Winning for Duke were Mitch Finesilver, Benjamin Anderson, Matt Finesilver and Kaden Russell.
Last Time We Met
- Duke’s Matt Finesilver upset No. 20 Daniel Bullard to highlight the Blue Devils’ wrestling home opener against NC State last season. The Wolfpack raced right out of the gates for a 24-0 lead in the dual and eventually won 32-6. Jacob Kasper was the other Duke winner.
- Duke won five of the final six bouts to overcome a 10-point deficit and upend Old Dominion 19-16 on Senior Day in Cameron Indoor Stadium last season. Both Alec Schenk (197) and Jacob Kasper (HWT) scored major decisions to secure the victory.
Top Dual Scorers
- After four duals, Mitch Finesilver (149) leads the way with 19 points, while Matt Finesilver (174) has 16. Both remain undefeated in duals, while Josh Finesilver and Kaden Russell both have just one loss and have scored 13 points for the Blue Devils.
Hitting the Books and the Mat Hard
- Four Blue Devils earned spots on the Dean’s List this past semester and two did so with Distinction. Mitch Finesilver and Anthony DeMartino both earned a 4.0 GPA, while Araad Fisher and Mason Eaglin posted a 3.85 and a 3.95 GPA, respectively.
Looking at Duke
- Duke concludes a three-match road swing at NC State Friday and Old Dominion Sunday. The Blue Devils are 2-2 in duals after their comeback at Navy came up just short. The Blue Devils unfortunately are without a 133 pounder due to injuries.
- Sixth-ranked Mitch Finesilver paces the Blue Devils with a 20-3 overall record and remains unbeaten in duals. Matt Finesilver is ranked 17th and is 17-5 overall. Zach Finesilver, after missing the early portion of the campaign to an off-season injury, is 2-2 in his duals and took fifth at the Southern Scuffle. Josh Finesilver (141) is 3-1 in duals and is 15-7 overall.
- At 157 pounds, Benjamin Anderson made some noise in Chattanooga, placing eighth at the Southern Scuffle and is 2-1 in his three duals. At the Southern Scuffle he upset the No. 6 seed to start the tournament and advanced to the quarterfinals before losing to eventual finalist Bo Pipher of Penn State. It was his first tournament in a Duke singlet. He is 5-3 overall on the year.
- At 184 pounds, Kaden Russell has taken big strides and is 14-8 on the year and took third at the Keystone Classic and just missed placing at the Southern Scuffle.
About NC State
- NC State heads into the ACC opener ranked eighth nationally with a 12-2 overall record. The Wolfpack’s lone losses are against then-No. 18 Wyoming, 22-21, and No. 2 Ohio State 26-10.
- Four members of the Wolfpack are ranked with Hayden Hidlay leading the way at No. 4 in the 157-pound division. Justin Oliver is eighth at 149 and Thomas Bullard and Daniel Bullard are 17th and 20th at 165 and 174, respectively. Overall, eight of the 11 possible wrestlers have double digit wins.
About Old Dominion
- Old Dominion hosts the Blue Devils sporting a 5-5 overall record. The Monarchs most recently fell to Buffalo 19-12. ODU narrowly lost to NC State, 16-15, and took third at Midlands.
- Three Monarchs are ranked in the top 20 and eight in the possible lineup have double digit wins. Larry Early is the highest ranked at No. 6 with a 15-3 record at 157. Michael McGee is 19-4 and ranked 18th at 125 pounds, while Sa’Derian Perry is 10th among the nation’s 141-pounders.
Friday Matches to Watch
- Friday’s dual features a host of exciting matchups. Headlining the dual will be the battle at 149 between No. 6 Mitch Finesilver and No. 8 Justin Oliver. Mitch is 8-3 against ranked foes this season with the losses coming against Nos. 2, 9 and 12.
- Matt Finesilver will be looking for his second top 20 win when he takes on No. 20 Daniel Bullard at 174. Older brother, Zach Finesilver will wrestle No. 17 Thomas Bullard at 165 in an effort to notch a crucial ranked victory. Matt defeated Daniel Bullard last season by an 8-5 decision. That is the lone rematch from last season’s dual between Duke and NC State.
- Benjamin Anderson will have a tough task of taking down No. 4 Hayden Hidlay who is 13-2 entering the weekend.
- Sunday’s dual features a few quality matchups, including Matt Finesilver’s rematch with Seldon Wright. Matt, who defeated Wright 4-3 in 2018, will dual the senior who has hovered around the top 20 all season.
- Zach Finesilver and Shane Jones will match up again at 165 pounds. Zach defeated Jones 8-4 last season. Jones is ranked 23rd currently with a 13-7 overall record.
- Just one day after facing No. 4 Hayden Hidlay, Benjamin Anderson is set to face No. 6 Larry Early at 157.
- Duke returns home Feb. 1 to host Virginia Tech in the ACC home opener. First match is set to begin at 7 p.m., in Cameron Indoor Stadium.