DURHAM, N.C. – The fourth-ranked Duke women’s tennis team swept past Gonzaga, 4-0, in the first round of the ITA Kickoff Tournament in Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Blue Devils improve to 3-0 on the season while Gonzaga falls to 1-1.
All three matches were needed to decide the doubles point as Duke ultimately claimed the point. Duke’s top pairing of Ellyse Hamlin and Kaitlyn McCarthy fell to Gonzaga’s Sophie Whittle and Graciela Rosas, 6-1, before freshmen tandem of Margaryta Bilokin and Maria Mateas defeated Domonique Garley and Sara Komer, 6-2, on court two. Kelly Chen and Meible Chi secured the first point of the match by a 6-3 score on court three over Kate Ketels and Haruna Tsuruta.
“I thought our doubles were flat,” head coach Jamie Ashworth said. “We were able to recover but it is hard in a six-game set to recover if you come out flat because it is so fast. On our second doubles, we played much better than we did on Wednesday. We hit the ball harder and were more engaged in the match. We have to find our identity with our doubles and realize that it is so quick and we have to be ready to play.”
With the doubles point in hand, the Blue Devils got to work in singles as Chen, Bilokin and Hamlin swiftly defeated their opponents.
Chen was first off the court for the Blue Devils in a fast 6-1, 6-1 game over Garley on court three before Bilokin won the first set (6-3) over Tsuruta and dominated the second set in style (6-0). Hamlin clinched the match for Duke on court five by a score of 6-1, 6-3 over Medvedcova.
This season, Chen is 2-0 while Bilokin is 2-1 and Hamlin is 3-0.
“I thought we competed really well in singles,” Ashworth said. “Every time Ellyse plays, she plays better and better. Margaryta is also getting better and better every time she gets on the court. Hopefully, every time we play as a team, we will be better.”
Duke will now face the winner of Nebraska and Old Dominion Sunday at 1 p.m., in Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center.
#GoDuke | #AllUs
#4 Duke 4, Gonzaga 0
1. #8 Maria Mateas (DU) vs. #5 WHITTLE, Sophie (GON) 5-7, 1-0, unfinished
2. #10 Meible Chi (DU) vs. ROSAS, Graciela (GON) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
3. #37 Kelly Chen (DU) def. #79 GARLEY, Domonique (GON) 6-1, 6-1
4. Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. TSURUTA, Haruna (GON) 6-3, 6-0
5. Ellyse Hamlin (DU) def. MEDVEDCOVA, Vlada (GON) 6-1, 6-3
6. Hannah Zhao (DU) vs. KOMER, Sara (GON) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
1. ROSAS, Graciela/WHITTLE, Sophie (GON) def. Ellyse Hamlin/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) 6-1
2. Maria Mateas/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. GARLEY, Domonique/KOMER, Sara (GON) 6-2
3. Kelly Chen/Meible Chi (DU) def. KETELS, Kate/TSURUTA, Haruna (GON) 6-3
Duke 3-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,4,5)