|No. 2 Duke at Notre Dame
|When: Jan. 28 | 7:00 PM (ET)|
|Where: Purcell Pavilion|
|Watch Live: ESPN|
|Listen Live: Blue Devil IMG Sports Network|
- Winners of three straight and in a three-way tie atop the ACC standings at 6-1, No. 2 Duke heads to South Bend for a Big Monday match-up with Notre Dame.
- The Blue Devils have won four straight in the series, including wins last year in Durham and the ACC quarterfinals.
- Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is one of seven former Blue Devil players or assistants under Mike Krzyzewski now a Division-I head coach.
- RJ Barrett needs 47 points to reach 10th place on the single-season Duke freshman scoring list. He’s 240 points shy of Marvin Bagley III’s freshman record 694 points.
- Barrett continues to lead the ACC in scoring at 23.9 points and is coming off his third double-double (24 points, 11 rebounds) in the Georgia Tech win.
- Zion Williamson broke Duke’s single-game freshman scoring record with 35 points in the Syracuse game. He is second in the ACC in scoring (21.7) and is the nation’s only player averaging 20.0+ points and shooting .600+ from the field.
- Tre Jones returned for the Georgia Tech win after missing the previous two games (shoulder). He leads the ACC in assists (5.59) and assist-turnover ratio (5.59).
- Jones is the nation’s only player averaging 5.0+ assists (5.59), 2.0+ steals (2.1) with a 5.0+ assist-turnover ratio (5.59).
- Duke is 5-1 versus teams ranked in the AP top 15 this season -- the most games, and wins, of any team nationally.
- At 6-1 in the league, the Blue Devils are off to their best start in the ACC since opening 6-1 in 2011-12.
Duke vs. Notre Dame
Monday’s game is the 32nd meeting between Duke and Notre Dame, with the Blue Devils leading 24-7…Duke holds a narrow 5-4 advantage in the series on the road, claiming victory in its last visit to Purcell Pavilion, 84-74, on Jan. 30, 2017 behind 21 from Grayson Allen…The Blue Devils have won four straight in the series, including victories in each of the last two ACC Tournaments -- the 2017 championship game and the 2018 quarterfinals.
Duke Away From Cameron
In the Coach K era, Duke is 248-140 (.639) in true road games and 267-76 (.778) in neutral site games, for a combined mark of 515-216 (.704) in all games outside of Cameron Indoor Stadium…In ACC regular season play, Duke is 179-115 (.609) away from home under Coach K. The Blue Devils are 123-62 (.665) in ACC road games since the 1996-97 season…Coach K has also won 15 road games against AP top five teams, the most in the history of the AP poll.
Top 15 Success
Duke has played an NCAA-leading six games versus AP top 15 opponents, including five away from Cameron…The Blue Devils’ 5-1 record versus top 15 opponents leads the nation…Pitt has played five versus the AP top 15, while six other teams have played four each…Duke’s three wins (3-1) over AP top 10 teams are also an NCAA high this season, while Iowa State, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina and Virginia each have two.
Duke: 3-0 In Road ACC Games
Duke has won its first three ACC road games this season, opening 3-0 away from home in conference play for the first time since the 2011-12 season…That season, Duke went undefeated on the road in ACC play on its way to a 13-3 league record.
On This Date
Duke is 13-5 all-time when playing on January 28…J.J. Redick scored 40 points on January 28, 2006 versus Virginia -- Duke’s most-recent 40-point effort…That came seven days after Redick poured in 41 at Georgetown.
Coach K's Coaching Tree
Mike Brey is one of seven former Blue Devil players or assistants under Mike Krzyzewski that is now a head coach at the Division-I level…Last Tuesday, Duke won at Pitt, facing former player and assistant Jeff Capel for the first time…Twenty-five of Coach K’s former players, and nine former assistants or staffers, are currently either coaching or working in front office roles across professional and college basketball.