Duke Falls at No. 15 Illinois
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. – The Duke men’s tennis team fell to No. 15 Illinois, 6-1, on the road Friday evening at the Atkins Tennis Center.
The match was the season-opener for the Fighting Illini, as they improved to 1-0 on the season. The Blue Devils fell to 3-3 on the year.
In doubles play, Alex Brown and Caleb Chakravarthi defeated juniors Nick Stachowiak and Spencer Furman, 6-2, on court one. Keenan Mayo and Aleks Kovacevic of Illinois clinched the doubles point with a 6-4 victory on court two over senior Jason Lapidus and junior Robert Levine.
In singles play, Stachowiak earned his third win of the season at the number one position as he defeated Alex Brown 6-2, 6-3. The point cut the Fighting Illini lead to two (3-1), however, Illinois regained momentum and clinched the match with a 6-4, 6-4, court four victory for Keenan Mayo.
Duke travels to Evanston, Ill., to take on Northwestern on Sunday. First serve is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Duke vs Illinois
Feb 01, 2019 at Urbana, Ill.
(Atkins Tennis Center)
#15 Illinois 6, Duke 1
1. Nick Stachowiak (DU) def. Alex Brown (UI) 6-2, 6-3
2. Aleks Kovacevic (UI) def. Spencer Furman (DU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Zeke Clark (UI) def. Catalin Mateas (DU) 6-2, 6-7 (3-7), 1-0 (10-8)
4. Keenan Mayo (UI) def. Robert Levine (DU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Noe Khlif (UI) def. Vincent Lin (DU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
6. Caleb Chakravarthi (UI) def. Samir Agadi (DU) 6-2, 6-2
Illinois 1-0; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,2,1,4,5,3)