LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The third-ranked Duke women’s tennis team swept its third-straight opponent Friday afternoon, defeating Louisville 7-0 in Louisville, Ky., at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. The Blue Devils are now 14-2 overall and 6-1 in ACC play while the Cardinals drop to 10-8 and 2-6 in conference play.
For the third-straight match and 12th time this season, Duke entered singles with the upper hand by collecting the doubles point. Rookie duo of Maria Mateas and Margaryta Bilokin quickl secured a 6-2 win on court three over Chloe Hamlin and Aleksandra Mally (6-2) before No. 69 Kelly Chen and Ellyse Hamlin picked up their fourth win as doubles partners on court one. Chen and Hamlin defeated Dina Chaika and Sena Suswam (6-2).
Bilokin carried the momentum into singles as she was the first off the court for the Blue Devils on court four. Bilokin cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 victory over Diana Wong before sophomore Hannah Zhao picked up her fourth victory of the season on court five. Zhao defeated Chaika (6-2, 6-4). Bilokin elevates to 12-3 this season and 4-1 on court four.
Ranked No. 14 by the ITA, Meible Chi was the next Blue Devil off the court as she battled through three sets and ultimately defeated Raven Neely (7-5, 3-6, 6-2). Chi is now 10-2 in dual matches this spring. Minutes later, Chen, ranked No. 22, defeated Mally on court two in two long sets (7-6 , 7-5). Chen improves to 12-2 and is 4-0 on court two.
Mateas tallied Duke’s final point in the sweep on court one. Ranked No. 15 by the ITA, Mateas defeated Suswam (7-6 , 6-4) and is now 7-6 in dual matches.
Lazic registered Duke’s first point in singles action, winning by default on court six.
Duke will return to action to host No. 22 Virginia Sunday in Ambler Tennis Stadium for a noon first serve.
#GoDuke | #AllUs
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs. Louisville
Mar 22, 2019 at Louisville, Ky.
(Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
#3 Duke 7, Louisville 0
1. #15 Maria Mateas (DU) def. Sena Suswam (LOU) 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. #22 Kelly Chen (DU) def. Aleksandra Mally (LOU) 7-6 (4), 7-5
3. #14 Meible Chi (DU) def. Raven Neely (LOU) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
4. Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Diana Wong (LOU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Hannah Zhao (DU) def. Dina Chaika (LOU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Ema Lazic (DU) def. No player (LOU), by default
1. #69 Ellyse Hamlin/Kelly Chen (DU) def. Dina Chaika/Sena Suswam (UL) 6-2
2. #36 Meible Chi/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) vs. Raven Neely/Diana Wong (UL) 5-4, unfinished
3. Maria Mateas/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Chloe Hamlin/Aleksandra Mally (UL) 6-2
Louisville 10-8, 2-6
Duke 14-2, 6-1; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,4,5,3,2,1)