SOUTH BEND, Ind. – It was a team effort Sunday afternoon as third-ranked Duke women’s tennis rallied to victory over Notre Dame, 4-3, in South Bend, Ind., at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. With the win, the Blue Devils elevate to 17-2 and 9-1 in conference play while the Irish drop to 10-10 overall and 3-8 in ACC matches.
For the sixth-consecutive match and 15th time this season, Duke collected the doubles point over Notre Dame. Kaitlyn McCarthy and Ema Lazic defeated Zoe Taylor and Ally Bojczuk (6-3) on court three before rookie duo Maria Mateas and Margaryta Bilokin were victorious on court two (6-3) over Bess Waldram and Brooke Broda.
Notre Dame evened the match up at one all with a win on court three. Cameron Corse defeated Ellyse Hamlin (6-2, 6-3), Hamlin’s first loss since February 24. Hamlin drops to 15-2 this spring, snapping a seven match win streak.
The Irish pushed their lead to 2-1 as Hannah Zhao fell to Taylor (6-2, 6-3) on court six. Zhao is now 4-2 this season.
Duke was able to win the next three out of four courts to secure the victory, starting with No. 22 Kelly Chen on court two. After dropping her match against Virginia Tech Friday, Chen bounced back with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Bojczuk. Chen is now 14-3 in dual matches.
McCarthy was next off for Duke as she defeated Waldram (6-3, 6-0) on court four before Mateas sealed the match for the Blue Devils. Mateas, ranked No. 15, defeated No. 63 Zoe Spence in three sets (6-1, 0-6, 6-2) on Duke’s top court. With the wins, McCarthy elevates to 9-4 and Mateas is 10-6 with a six match win streak.
Notre Dame picked up its third point with a super tiebreak third set. Broda defeated Bilokin 6-7 (7), 6-3, 1-0 (4) on court five.
The Blue Devils will play their final road match Friday, April 5 as they take on Clemson.
#GoDuke | #AllUs
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs Notre Dame
Mar 31, 2019 at Notre Dame, IN
(Eck Tennis Pavilion)
#3 Duke 4, #42 Notre Dame 3
1. #15 Maria Mateas (DU) def. #63 Zoe Spence (ND) 6-1, 0-6, 6-2
2. #22 Kelly Chen (DU) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-4, 6-2
3. Cameron Corse (ND) def. Ellyse Hamlin (DU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) def. Bess Waldram (ND) 6-3, 6-0
5. Brooke Broda (ND) def. Margaryta Bilokin (DU) 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
6. Zoe Taylor (ND) def. Hannah Zhao (DU) 6-2, 6-3
1. #59 Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND) vs. #69 Ellyse Hamlin/Kelly Chen (DU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Maria Mateas/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Bess Waldram/Brooke Broda (ND) 6-3
3. Kaitlyn McCarthy/Ema Lazic (DU) def. Zoe Taylor/Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-3
Duke 17-2, 9-1; National ranking #3
Notre Dame 10-10, 3-8; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,6,2,4,1,5)