LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Duke men’s tennis team snapped a three-match losing streak Sunday with a 4-1 victory at Louisville. The win gave the Blue Devils their second in a road contest this season as junior Spencer Furman provided the clinching point.
Duke also improved to 5-1 against Louisville in dual match history. The Blue Devils up their overall record to 8-11 and conference mark to 2-6 while the Cardinals are now 13-9 and 2-6 in ACC competition.
“It was a nice road win today against a good Louisville team,” head coach Ramsey Smith said. “Our team energy in doubles was fantastic and that really set the tone. We obviously have had some tough and tight loses recently. I’m proud the guys have stuck together and stayed positive. We are starting to play well across the board. I’m convinced our best tennis of the season is ahead of us.”
In doubles play, the Blue Devil duo of Furman and senior Vincent Lin teamed up for the first time this season and cruised to a 6-0 victory on court three over George Hedley and Fredrik Moe.
Senior Catalin Mateas and sophomore Sean Sculley clinched the doubles point with a 6-2 win on court two over Federico Gomez and Alex Wesbrooks. The Duke duo is now 4-1 this season. The doubles victory was the Blue Devils’ 10th of the season and second in the last three matches.
In singles action, senior Jason Lapidus earned a straight-set 6-4, 6-4 victory on court six over Clement Filho, putting Duke ahead 2-0.
After Louisville cut the lead down to 2-1 with a Sergio Hernandez 6-1, 6-4 victory over Sculley on court four, Mateas responded with a 6-1, 7-6 win against Fabian Salle on court three, putting Duke within one point of the match.
Furman secured the contest with a 7-6, 6-4 victory versus Brandon Lancaster on court two.
Duke is back on the court Friday as it plays host to Notre Dame in Ambler Tennis Stadium. First serve is set for 5 p.m.
Duke 4, Louisville 1
March 31, 2019 at Louisville, Ky. (Bass-Rudd Tennis Center)
1. C. Morin-Kougoucheff/Fabien Salle (LOU-MT) vs. Nick Stachowiak/Jason Lapidus (DU) 3-5, unfinished
2. Catalin Mateas/Sean Sculley (DU) def. Federico Gomez/Alex Wesbrooks (LOU-MT) 6-2
3. Spencer Furman/Vincent Lin (DU) def. George Hedley/Fredrik Moe (LOU-MT) 6-0
1. C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU-MT) vs. #75 Nick Stachowiak (DU) 4-6, 6-3, 4-0, unfinished
2. Spencer Furman (DU) def. Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
3. Catalin Mateas (DU) def. Fabien Salle (LOU-MT) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Sergio Hernandez (LOU-MT) def. Sean Sculley (DU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Federico Gomez (LOU-MT) vs. Vincent Lin (DU) 6-7 (6-8), 7-5, 1-0, unfinished
6. Jason Lapidus (DU) def. Clement Filho (LOU-MT) 6-4, 6-4
Duke 8-11, 2-6 ACC
Louisville: 13-9, 2-6 ACC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,3,2)