DURHAM, N.C. – For the second-consecutive year, the Duke women’s tennis team is headed to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Team Championships after defeating No. 12 NC State, 4-0, Friday evening under the lights in Ambler Tennis Stadium.
“This win feels great,” head coach Jamie Ashworth said. “First of all, we had a great atmosphere and a great crowd supporting both Duke and NC State. NC State had an unbelievable year. I thought we were relentless from the start. We used the momentum from the doubles and rode with it to play really well, really smart and really disciplined tennis. We’re excited. This is something we set out to do at the beginning of the year. We’re very proud of our team and we should be happy with the effort tonight.”
Duke captured the doubles point for the 22nd match this season and for the third-consecutive game.
The Wolfpack got off to a quick start as seventh-ranked Anna Rogers and Alana Smith took court one, 6-2, over No. 47 Kelly Chen and Ellyse Hamlin. The Blue Devils were quick to bounce back with victories on courts two and three. No. 24 Meible Chi and Kaitlyn McCarthy defeated Adriana Reami and Claudia Wiktorin, 6-4, on court two before rookie duo Margaryta Bilokin and Maria Mateas took down Bianca Moldovan and Liz Norman on court three, 6-3, to seal the doubles deal.
Chi wasted no time moving quickly off Duke’s second court as she defeated No. 71 Smith 6-2, 6-2. Chi, who is tabbed No. 33 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA), improves to 14-3 this spring.
Doubles teammate McCarthy followed in Chi’s footsteps and tallied the third point for the Blue Devils on court four. McCarthy defeated Norman (6-3, 6-3) to improve to 14-7 and now owns a three-match win streak.
It was sophomore Chen who captured Duke’s final point in the Sweet 16 match as she defeated Reami (6-3, 6-4) on court three. Ranked No. 21 by the ITA, Chen elevates to 21-4 and continues to hold the longest win streak on the team at seven.
The Blue Devils will now head to Orlando, Fla., to take on the winner of the USC/South Carolina match Friday, May 17 at the USTA National Campus.
#GoDuke | #AllUs
Tennis Match Results
NC State vs Duke
May 10, 2019 at Durham, N.C.
(Ambler Tennis Stadium)
#5 Duke 4, #12 NC State 0
1. #11 Maria Mateas (DU) vs. #10 Anna Rogers (ST) 6-7 (2-7), 1-0, unfinished
2. #33 Meible Chi (DU) def. #71 Alana Smith (ST) 6-2, 6-2
3. #21 Kelly Chen (DU) def. Adriana Reami (ST) 6-3, 6-4
4. Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) def. Liz Norman (ST) 6-3, 6-3
5. Ellyse Hamlin (DU) vs. Bianca Moldovan (ST) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
6. Margaryta Bilokin (DU) vs. Amanda Rebol (ST) 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
1. #7 Anna Rogers/Alana Smith (ST) def. #47 Kelly Chen/Ellyse Hamlin (DU) 6-2
2. #24 Meible Chi/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) def. Adriana Reami/Claudia Wiktorin (ST) 6-3
3. Maria Mateas/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Bianca Moldovan/Liz Norman (ST) 6-4
NC State 24-7; National ranking #12
Duke 26-3; National ranking #5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,4,3)