DURHAM, N.C. – A strong performance in singles led to Duke’s 4-3 victory over Wake Forest on Wednesday.
"After our worst doubles performance of the season, we came out and played our best singles of the year," said head coach Ramsey Smith. "I sensed the urgency in singles, and we came out with four straight sets wins. The energy and intensity was great to see and I expect us to maintain that level in doubles and singles for the remainder of our dual matches. When we come out of the gates like that we are a very dangerous team."
Inclement weather moved play indoors to the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. The Blue Devils struggled in doubles action but rallied with wins in four of the six singles victories to move to 6-2 at home. Duke is 9-5 overall and 2-2 in the ACC while Wake Forest drops to 12-6 on the year.
The strong surge in singles was powered by the middle of the lineup as Dylan Arnould and Jared Pinsky cruised to straight set wins. Arnould defeated Jon Wolff 6-2, 6-1 to improve to 14-11 on the year. Pinsky claimed a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Iain Atkinson. Pinsky is now 17-10 on the year and 2-2 in ACC play.
No. 28 Reid Carleton and Luke Marchese also won in straight sets. Carleton moved down one spot in the order to the No. 2 spot and earned a 6-3, 7-5 win over Steve Forman. Carleton earned his first ACC win of the year and is now 17-10 overall. Marchese won his eighth straight match to improve to 12-3 on the season. He is a perfect 4-0 in ACC action and 5-0 in dual match play after defeating Jason Morgenstern 6-3, 6-3.
The Blue Devils will wrap up the home slate with two matches this weekend. They will take on Boston College at 3 p.m. on Friday and then No. 75 Maryland at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
Tennis Match Results
Wake Forest vs Duke
March 24, 2009 at Durham, N.C.
#30 Duke 4, #25 Wake Forest 3
1. #1 Steve Forman/Cory Parr (WF) def. Dylan Arnould/Reid Carleton (DU) 8-3
2. Iain Atkinson/Carlos Salmon (WF) def. Kiril Dimitrov/Alain Michel (DU) 8-1
3. David Hopkins/Jon Wolff (WF) def. David Holland/Jared Pinsky (DU) 8-5
1. #26 Cory Parr (WF) def. #58 Kiril Dimitrov (DU) 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
2. #28 Reid Carleton (DU) def. Steve Forman (WF) 6-3, 7-5
3. Dylan Arnould (DU) def. Jon Wolff (WF) 6-2, 6-1
4. Jared Pinsky (DU) def. Iain Atkinson (WF) 6-2, 6-3
5. David Hopkins (WF) def. Alain Michel (DU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Luke Marchese (DU) def. Jason Morgenstern (WF) 6-3, 6-3
Wake Forest 12-6; National ranking #25
Duke 9-5; National ranking #30
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,4,5,2,6,1)