"I thought we played with a lot of heart," said head coach Jamie Ashworth. "We didn't play as well as we can play, but we competed really well, we fought really well. We've got to keep playing with that kind of fight. We are not going to play our best every day, but we need to dial that kind of pride moving forward."
The Blue Devils are undefeated in doubles matches on the season, clinching the doubles point in each of their previous five matches, but against Northwestern, Duke was tested. In both doubles matches, the victory was decided in the last game. The duo of senior Mary Clayton and sophomore Ester Goldfeld edged No. 42 Linda Abu Mushrefova and Nida Hamilton, 8-7, despite finding themselves at a 7-4 disadvantage early in the match, while the tandem of junior Marianne Jodoin and sophomore Annie Mulholland outlasted Veronica Corning and Alicia Barnett, 8-7, to clinch the point. Junior Hanna Mar and sophomore Monica Turewicz held a 7-4 lead over Belinda Niu and Kate Turvy when the doubles point was clinched.
In singles action, Goldfeld quickly dispatched of Brittany Wowchuk, 6-2, 6-1, to give Duke some momentum, however Northwestern responded when Niu topped Mulholland, 6-3, 6-0. Jodoin, ranked 63rd in the most recent Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, downed Hamilton in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2, before the stage was set for Turewicz.
Turewicz, a native of Lake Forest, Ill., edged Abu Mushrefova, 7-6, in the first set, and used that momentum to carry her to a 6-3 win in the second set to clinch the match and send the Blue Devils into the semifinals. Mar, ranked No. 10 in the country, owned a 7-6, 4-1, lead over No. 67 Turvy, and No. 53 Clayton was in the third set of her match when the match was decided.
"It is not easy playing the same team like that twice in one week," Ashworth said. "They are a good team, and we knew we had to win the doubles point, because after the results last week, we did not want to give them any momentum going into singles."
The Blue Devils are slated to face the winner of the quarterfinal match between North Carolina and Southern California in the semifinal match Sunday. The Blue Devils advanced to the championship match of the ITA National Indoor Championship last season, but were unable to slow UCLA in the match.
For live updates of the semifinal match, visit the ITA National Indoor Championship homepage by clicking here.
Tennis Match Results
Northwestern vs Duke
Feb 09, 2013 at Charlottesville. VA
(Boar's Head Sports Club)
Duke 4, Northwestern 1
1. #10 Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. #67 Kate Turvy (NU) 7-6, 4-1, unfinished
2. #53 Mary Clayton (DUKE) vs. Veronica Corning (NU) 6-7, 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
3. #40 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Brittany Wowchuk (NU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Belinda Niu (NU) def. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) 6-3, 6-0
5. Monica Turewicz (DUKE) def. Linda Abu Mushrefova (NU) 7-6, 6-3
6. #63 Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. Nida Hamilton (NU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Mary Clayton/Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. #42 Linda Abu Mushrefova/Nida Hamilton (NU) 8-7
2. Marianne Jodoin/Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Veronica Corning/Alicia Barnett (NU) 8-7
3. Monica Turewicz/Hanna Mar (DUKE) vs. Belinda Niu/Kate Turvy (NU) 7-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (3,4,6,5)