SEATTLE, Wash. – It was a top-10 matchup in the quarterfinals of the ITA Indoor Championships after a day off due to winter weather that saw the fourth-ranked Duke women’s tennis team defeat seventh-ranked Pepperdine, 4-1, Sunday afternoon at the Seattle Tennis Club. With the win, the Blue Devils are now 7-0 as the Waves drop to 3-1.
“I think the off day was a good thing for us,” head coach Jamie Ashworth said. “It gave a couple of our girls a chance to regroup physically. You never have a day off in the middle of a tournament like this. This Pepperdine team is one of the most talented in the country and I thought we handled ourselves well. I thought our emotion was very good. Before the match, I told them they had to be the best team on the court physically, mentally and emotionally. We set the tone in doubles with good emotion and got a win from our two seniors again. I thought as a whole, it was one of the best matches we’ve played against some of the best competition we’ve had. It was great that we rose to the challenge.”
For the seventh time this season, the Blue Devils secured the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Senior tandem Ellyse Hamlin and Kaitlyn McCarthy upset Pepperdine’s No. 12 duo of Jessica Failla and Anastasia Iamachkine, 6-2, before Kelly Chen and Meible Chi defeated Daria Kuczer and Dzina Milovanovic, 6-4, on court three.
After being the last Blue Devil off the court in Friday’s match versus No. 16 Ohio State, freshman Margaryta Bilokin was first off on court five with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Satsuki Takamura before Hamlin defeated Milovanovic on court six, 6-4, 6-2. Hamlin was down 1-3 in the first set before tallying four-straight games to give her the advantage.
Pepperdine’s Ashley Lahey cut into Duke’s lead with a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 11 Maria Mateas on court one just before No. 21 Chen sealed the deal on court three with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over No. 52 Failla.
The Blue Devils will now face second-ranked ACC foe North Carolina in the semifinals for a battle of the blues Monday at the Nordstrom Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Washington.
#GoDuke | #AllUs
Tennis Match Results
Pepperdine vs Duke
Feb 10, 2019 at Seattle, Wash.
(Seattle Tennis Club)
#4 Duke 4, #7 Pepperdine 1
1. Ashley Lahey (PEPP) def. #11 Maria Mateas (DU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #8 Meible Chi (DU) vs. #13 Evgeniya Levachova (PEPP) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
3. #21 Kelly Chen (DU) def. #52 Jessica Failla (PEPP) 6-2, 6-4
4. #100 Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) vs. Adrijana Lekaj (PEPP) 7-5, 1-3, unfinished
5. Margaryta Bilokin (DU) def. Satsuki Takamura (PEPP) 6-1, 6-1
6. Ellyse Hamlin (DU) def. Dzina Milovanovic (PEPP) 6-4, 6-2
1. #30 Maria Mateas/Margaryta Bilokin (DU) vs. #1 Ashley Lahey/Evgeniya Levachova (PEPP) 4-4, unfinished
2. Ellyse Hamlin/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DU) def. #12 Jessica Failla/Anastasia Iamachkine (PEPP) 6-2
3. Kelly Chen/Meible Chi (DU) def. Daria Kuczer/Dzina Milovanovic (PEPP) 6-4
Pepperdine 3-1; National ranking #7
Duke 7-0; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,6,3,1)