Duke Takes on Iona Thursday in NCAA Opener
Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
THE OPENING TIP
- The Duke Blue Devils hold the No. 2-seed in the Midwest Region and open play in the program’s 42nd NCAA Tournament on Thursday versus Iona in the first round.
- The Blue Devils are in the NCAA Tournament for the 23rd consecutive season, which is topped by only Kansas’ current streak of 29 consecutive appearances.
- Duke is 108-36 (.750) all-time in the NCAA Tournament, which is No. 1 all-time in winning percentage and third in wins.
- Head coach Mike Krzyzewski has led Duke to the NCAA Tournament for the 34th time, a record number of bids by a coach. Coach K’s 91 tournament wins are also the most.
- Iona enters with a 20-13 record and are the No. 15-seed in the Midwest Region after winning the MAAC tournament championship. It is the third consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance for the Gaels and the fifth in the past seven years.
- Iona has five different players averaging double figures in scoring, led by Rickey McGill at 13.5. The Gaels led the MAAC in three-point field goals made, averaging 9.7.
- It will be the first meeting between Duke and Iona as well as the first time Duke faces a MAAC opponent in the postseason.