Uploaded Ad
article image
Courtesy: Duke Photography
Makenzie Hommel
Dartmouth Edges Duke 9-8 in Double Overtime
Courtesy: Duke Sports Information
Release: 03/17/2012
BDN+ Premium Content
Related Links

HANOVER, N.H. - After trailing by three to start the second half, the fourth-ranked Duke women's lacrosse team came back and tied the game, but No. 17 Dartmouth netted the gamewinner in double overtime to top the Blue Devils 9-8 Saturday afternoon from Scully-Fahey Field.

Duke (8-3, 2-0 ACC) trailed 6-3 at the half, but the Blue Devils limited the Big Green to two goals in the second period and tied the game at eight with 4:38 remaining. Dartmouth's Sarah Plumb, who finished with a team-high two goals, scored the game-winning goal to propel the Big Green (5-0 1-0 Ivy) to victory.

The Blue Devils led Dartmouth in shots (22-17) and draw controls (11-10), while only turning the ball over eight times, but Duke ultimately could not overcome a slow start. Junior Makenzie Hommel and sophomore Molly Quirke led the Blue Devils with two goals each. Freshman Kerrin Maurer added a goal and two assists to bring her team-leading point total to 39 on the year.

The Big Green came out strong to start the game and staked a 2-0 lead in the first four minutes. Duke cut the Dartmouth lead to 2-1 off a Quirke goal in the fifth minute, but the Big Green again went up by two off a free position goal from Frances Bird.

Maurer found a cutting Maddy Morrissey for a wide open goal, again pulling Duke within one, however, Dartmouth had the answer and built a 5-3 late by late in the first half. With the clock winding down on the opening period, Maurer scored her 19th goal of the season to make it a 5-3 game. Yet it would be Dartmouth who took the momentum into the intermission as the Big Green netted a fast break goal off the draw with three seconds remaining to take a 6-3 lead into halftime.

Both teams won five draw controls in the first half and Duke led in shots 10-7, but Dartmouth goaltender Kristen Giovaniello made five stops to frustrate the Blue Devil offense.

Duke upped its intensity level to begin the second stanza, resulting in a Hommel goal 15 seconds in. Dartmouth scored two goals to one for the Blue Devils over the next two minutes before Duke's defense clamped down and kept Dartmouth off the scoreboard for the final 20:24 of the game.

During that span, the Blue Devils mounted a 3-0 run to tie the game at 8-8, starting with Quirke's second goal of the day. Senior Amanda Jones followed with a free position goal, then freshman Taylor Trimble  tied the game off a pass from senior Kim Wenger.

Dartmouth's defense was able to slow Duke on its final possession and the two teams headed into overtime. The Blue Devils won both draw controls in the first overtime, but could not break through for the go-ahead goal.

The missed opportunities proved costly for the Blue Devils as the Big Green came up with the opening draw of the second overtime, leading to Plumb's gamewinner.

Duke returns to action Saturday, March 24, playing host to Virginia at 1 p.m., from Koskinen Stadium.