DURHAM, N.C. - The No. 10 Duke men's tennis team picked up its second ACC sweep in as many matches this season with a 7-0 win over N.C. State on Saturday afternoon at Ambler Tennis Stadium.
Duke (11-6, 2-0) won each of the six singles matches in straight sets and has yet to drop a set in ACC singles play this season.
Duke jumped out to early leads on all three courts, but on court one the fourth-ranked duo of Reid Carleton and Henrique Cunha were challenged late. N.C. State's top pair of Dominic Hodgson and Rob Lowe battled to 6-6. However, that is as close as the Wolfpack would come; Carleton and Cunha went on to win 8-6.
"[We] focused a lot on doubles all week in practice," said Duke head coach Ramsey Smith. "It was probably the best week of practice we have had really in a long time. So I think it set the tone for two really good matches."
Feeding off his team's doubles momentum, junior Luke Marchese erupted for a quick, 6-1 first set on court six. From there Marchese wouldn't slow down, winning Duke's first singles match of the afternoon in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.
On court four, freshman Fred Saba played a grueling game two of his first set, eventually outlasting N.C. State's Rafael Paez to even the score at 1-1 early. The rest of set was much the same. Saba battled to go up 5-4 but his effort was matched by Paez as the sophomore evened things at five games apiece. But Saba could not be broken; he took the first set 7-5. The second set came much easier for the Fort Lauderdale native, winning 6-1 for the straight sets victory.
Eleventh-ranked Cunha was locked in a first set battle with Hogdson. Down 3-4, he rallied to win the set 7-5. Cunha's intensity was too much for Hogsdon in the second set, dropping the junior from London in straight sets.
"We definitely had a couple of things go our way this weekend," said Smith.
Up next for Duke is a date with Boston College at 3 p.m. on March 25 at Ambler Tennis Stadium. Admission is free to the public, and live stats and live video will be provided by GoDuke.com.
Tennis Match Results
N.C. State vs Duke
Mar. 20, 2011 at Durham, N.C.
#10 Duke 7, #48 N.C. State 0
1. #4 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (DU) def. Dominic Hodgson/Rob Lowe (NCSU) 8-6
2. Fred Saba/Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Julian Sullivan/Sean Weber (NCSU) 8-6
3. Cale Hammond/Jared Pinsky (DU) def. Rafael Paez/Matt Thomson (NCSU) 8-3
1. #11 Henrique Cunha (DU) def. Dominic Hodgson (NCSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. #9 Reid Carleton (DU) def. Dave Thomson (NCSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. #94 Chris Mengel (DU) def. Julian Sullivan (NCSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Fred Saba (DU) def. Rafael Paez (NCSU) 7-5, 6-2
5. Jared Pinsky (DU) def. Ivan Sanchez-Gomez (NCSU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Luke Marchese (DU) def. Sean Weber (NCSU) 6-1, 6-2
N.C. State 8-6 (0-2 ACC); National ranking #48
Duke 11-6 (2-0 ACC); National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,3,5,1,4)