Los Angeles – The Duke men’s tennis team finished 1-2 on their spring break trip to Southern California after falling to a top-10 team for the second straight match on Friday as No. 7 USC claimed a 7-0 victory over the Blue Devils.
The Blue Devils were without two of their top three singles players on Friday which helped the Trojans claim victories in all six singles contests. USC had five ranked singles players which proved too much for Duke as four of the six singles matches ended in straight sets. Sophomore Dylan Arnould played at No. 2 for the first time in his career and won the first set on a tiebreaker 7-6 (2) before falling in three sets to No. 58 Kaes Van’t Hof. Freshman Jared Pinsky moved from his normal position of No. 5 to the third spot in the lineup while Alex Stone moved from No. 6 to No. 4 in the lineup. Filling out the lineup for Duke was Alain Michel at No. 5 and Aaron Carpenter at No. 6.
To start the match, the Trojans’ third-ranked doubles team of Robert Farah and Kaes Van’t Hof took a lead in doubles with an 8-4 win over Duke’s David Goulet and Christopher Price. The Blue Devils battled back to even up doubles when Arnould and Stone defeated Jason McNaughton and Gary Sacks at the No. 2 position 8-5. However, a win at No. 3 for USC’s Andrew Piotrowski and Jaak Poldma sealed the doubles point for the Trojans.
The Blue Devils will return to North Carolina for their next match but will play its fifth straight road match on Wednesday when they open up ACC play at N.C. State in Raleigh.
#7 USC 7, #61 Duke 0
March 14, 2008
(1) #3 Farah/Van't Hof (USC) def. Goulet/Price (Duke) - 8-4
(2) Arnould/Stone (Duke) def. McNaughton/Sacks (USC) - 8-5
(3) Piotrowski/Poldma (USC) def. Michel/Pinksy (Duke) - 8-5
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
(1) #11 Robert Farah (USC) def. #48 David Goulet (Duke) - 6-4, 6-1
(2) #58 Kaes Van't Hof (USC) vs. Dylan Arnould (Duke) - 6-7 (2), 6-1, 6-3
(3) #90 Jaak Poldma (USC) def. Jared Pinsky (Duke) - 6-0, 6-2
(4) #47 Gary Sacks (USC) def. Alex Stone (Duke) - 7-5, 7-6 (5)
(5) #95 Jason McNaughton (USC) def. Alain Michel (Duke) - 6-1, 6-2
(6) Abdullah Magdas (USC) def. Aaron Carpenter (Duke) - 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 5*, 4, 6, 2