MALIBU, Calif. - No. 33 Duke suffered its third straight loss on Wednesday, falling to No. 24 Pepperdine, 6-1, at the Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center.
The Blue Devils' freshman Henrique Cunha continued his hot streak with wins in both doubles and singles, but his singles win was the only point Duke would get as Pepperdine took the doubles point and five of the six singles matches.
Cunha and Reid Carleton extended their winning streak in doubles to eight in a row with a 7-6 (3) tiebreaker win over Bassam Beidas and Alex Llompart. The Duke duo, who are ranked No. 3 in the nation, are now 9-1 in dual matches and 26-4 overall. The win came after Pepperdine had claimed wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to earn the doubles point.
In singles, Pepperdine won the first set in five of the six singles contests. The only first set win for Duke was at the top spot in the order as Cunha claimed his first set, 6-3, against Beidas. The second set went in Beidas' favor, who is ranked No. 90 in the ITA singles rankings. Cunha, the No. 14 player in the country, came out on top in the third set super tiebreaker for his sixth straight singles win. He is now 7-2 in dual match play and 21-5 overall.
The tough stretch for the Blue Devils will continue next week when they play their third top 10 opponent this month. They take on No. 3 Southern California at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday, March 17 in Durham.
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs Pepperdine
March 10, 2010 at Malibu, Calif.
#24 Pepperdine 6, #33 Duke 1
1. #3 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (DU) def. Bassam Beidas/Alex Llompart (PEPP) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Hugh Clarke/Finn Tearney (PEPP) def. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (DU) 8-1
3. Sebastian Fanselow/Alejandro Moreno (PEPP) def. Alain Michel/Torsten Wietoska (DU) 8-3
1. #14 Henrique Cunha (DU) def. #90 Bassam Beidas (PEPP) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. #120 Sebastian Fanselow (PEPP) def. #70 Reid Carleton (DU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Alex Llompart (PEPP) def. #63 Dylan Arnould (DU) 7-5, 6-3
4. M. Hovhannisyan (PEPP) def. Torsten Wietoska (DU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
5. Finn Tearney (PEPP) def. David Holland (DU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Daniel Moss (PEPP) def. Alain Michel (DU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
Duke 5-5; National ranking #33
Pepperdine 6-5; National ranking #24
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,2,1,3,6,4)