CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The No. 14 Duke men's tennis team was upset on the road against No. 47 Miami on Friday as the Hurricanes pulled out three matches that went into the third set for a 4-3 victory.
The loss was just the second of the season in ACC play for the Blue Devils as they fall to 8-2 in league play and 15-7 overall. Miami improved to 10-10 on the season and 4-6 in the ACC.
The Hurricanes trailed 3-1 in the match with the No. 2, 4 and 6 matches all going into three sets. Waylon Chin was the first to get a win as he downed Luke Marchese 6-2, 4-6, 6-2. Marchese suffered his first ACC loss of the season after starting conference play 9-0. Next up Alain Michel lost a third set tiebreaker to Ignacio Taboada. The deciding match came down to the No. 2 spot where Christian Blocker defeated Reid Carleton in a close match 6-3, 6-7, 6-4.
The Blue Devils got off to a great start winning the doubles point for the 17th time this season. Duke has started eight of its 10 ACC matches by taking a 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. The top-ranked duo in the country, Reid Carleton and Henrique Cunha, picked up an 8-5 win over No. 71 Christian Blocker and David Simon. The two Blue Devils improved to 34-5 overall and 7-1 in the ACC. No. 64 Dylan Arnould and David Holland clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 victory, improving to 8-2 in conference play and 16-8 overall.
Junior Jared Pinsky improved to 5-0 in ACC play with a 6-2, 6-4 victory against Keith Crowley at the No. 4 position. Soon after freshman Henrique Cunha extended his winning streak to 14 straight with a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 107 Carl Sundberg to make the score 3-1. Cunha is now 29-5 overall and 7-0 in ACC play. His 29 wins are tied for eighth most by a Duke freshman with Dmitry Muzyka (29-9) in 1995-96.
Duke has one match remaining in the regular season. The Blue Devils will travel to Tallahassee, Fla. to face No. 27 Florida State at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs Miami
April 16, 2010 at Coral Gables, Fla.
#47 Miami 4, #14 Duke 3
1. #1 Reid Carleton/Henrique Cunha (Duke) def. #71 Christian Blocker/David Simon (Miami) 8-5
2. #64 Dylan Arnould/David Holland (Duke) def. #80 Keith Crowley/Hector Nieto (Miami) 8-5
3. Carl Sundberg/Ignacio Taboada (Miami) def. Alain Michel/Torsten Wietoska (Duke) 8-6
1. #3 Henrique Cunha (Duke) def. #107 Carl Sundberg (Miami) 6-4, 6-3
2. Christian Blocker (Miami) def. #86 Reid Carleton (Duke) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
3. David Simon (Miami) def. #104 Dylan Arnould (Duke) 6-3, 6-2
4. Jared Pinsky (Duke) def. Keith Crowley (Miami) 6-2, 6-4
5. Waylon Chin (Miami) def. Luke Marchese (Duke) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6. Ignacio Taboada (Miami) def. Alain Michel (Duke) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
Duke 15-7, 8-2 ACC; National ranking #14
Miami 10-10, 4-6 ACC; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,1,5,6,2)