ATHENS, Ga. - No. 1 Virginia was too much for No. 16 Duke on Friday in the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 as the Blue Devils' season came to a close with a 4-0 loss to the Cavaliers at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex.
"I thought Virginia played a great match," said head coach Ramsey Smith. "We had great preparation coming into this week but Virginia is more experienced and has been in this position before."
The doubles point came down to the wire at the No. 1 and 2 positions as both matches were on serve until late in the contests. Virginia needed just one more win after picking up an 8-3 win from Jarmere Jenkins and Lee Singer at the No. 3 spot.
No. 14 Drew Courtney and Michael Shabaz of Virginia had five match points against the No. 1 team in the country, Reid Carleton and Henrique Cunha, but the Duke pair won the point each time and the match would go to a tiebreaker that did not finish. Virginia ended up with the doubles point in the end after No. 41 Houston Barrick and Sanam Singh broke Duke's serve at 7-6 to take the victory.
"The doubles was tightly contested and them squeaking through that set the tone for them," said Smith. "We played them three times this year and today was the best they have played in singles. We got outplayed at a couple of spots but I was still confident that our guys were going to come back and win their matches."
Virginia won all six of the first sets in singles. Three cavaliers would finish their matches in straight sets to advance their team to the next round. No. 46 Drew Courtney defeated Torsten Wietoska 6-3, 6-2 in the No. 4 spot. Jenkins, who is ranked No. 57 in singles, downed No. 101 Dylan Arnould 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 slot in the lineup. No. 106 Houston Barrick clinched the match for Virginia with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Jared Pinsky at the No. 5 spot in the order.
The Blue Devils end their team season with a 20-9 overall record. Two Duke players will be competing in the NCAA Individual Championships next week. Carleton and Cunha are the No. 1 seed in doubles while Cunha is also the No. 1 seed in singles.
Tennis Match Results
NCAA Tournament Round of 16
Duke vs Virginia
May 21, 2010 at Athens, Ga.
#1 Virginia 4, #16 Duke 0
1. #14 Drew Courtney/Michael Shabaz (UVA) vs. #1 Carleton/Cunha (Duke) 8-8 (5-3), unfinished
2. #41 Houston Barrick/Sanam Singh (UVA) def. Arnould/Holland (Duke) 8-6
3. Jarmere Jenkins/Lee Singer (UVA) def. Michel/Wietoska (Duke) 8-3
1. #11 Michael Shabaz (UVA) vs. #2 Henrique Cunha (Duke) 6-1, 5-7, unfinished
2. #14 Sanam Singh (UVA) vs. #64 Reid Carleton (Duke) 7-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. #57 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) def. #101 Dylan Arnould (Duke) 6-1, 6-2
4. #46 Drew Courtney (UVA) def. Torsten Wietoska (Duke) 6-3, 6-2
5. #106 Houston Barrick (UVA) def. Jared Pinsky (Duke) 6-4, 6-2
6. Julen Uriguen (UVA) vs. Luke Marchese (Duke) 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
Duke 20-9; National ranking #16
Virginia 38-1; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,3,5)