RICHMOND, Va. – The 17th-ranked Duke men’s tennis team picked up its third win against a top-40 opponent, dispatching No. 29 VCU by a 4-0 score Sunday at the Rams’ Thalhimer Tennis Center. The victory moved the Blue Devils to 7-3 on the season heading into the squad’s ACC opener next week at NC State.
Duke started off Sunday’s contest by claiming the doubles point for the third-straight outing. The tandem of junior Raphael Hemmeler and senior Fred Saba improved to 3-0 at the No. 2 spot with an 8-3 defeat of VCU’s Wilder Pimentel and Michael Voscek. Sophomore Daniel McCall and junior Cale Hammond also earned a win to secure a 1-0 lead in the match, teaming up to outlast Alejandro Argente and JB Mateo on court three, 8-5. McCall and Hammond are now 9-2 overall as a doubles pair and 4-1 from the No. 3 position.
In the No. 1 doubles match, the nation’s 33rd-ranked duo of sophomore Michael Redlicki and junior Jason Tahir was knotted at 7-7 against Nick Jones and Vuk Velickovic of the Rams when the contest was abandoned.
Tahir, the 40th-ranked player in the latest ITA national singles poll, led the Blue Devils off the courts in singles with a 6-3, 6-3 victory over No. 121 Voscek in the No. 2 matchup. The decision extended Tahir’s win streak to seven matches and moved his dual match ledger to 7-2. No. 37 Redlicki also earned a point for Duke from the top of the lineup, dispatching Jones by scores of 7-5, 6-3 to improve to 4-1 at the No. 1 slot.
Sophomore Bruno Semenzato clinched his first match of the season with a 7-6 (3), 6-2 victory over VCU’s Mateo on court four. The 94th-ranked player in the country, Semenzato is now 5-1 from the No. 4 position and 19-6 overall on the year.
The Blue Devils open conference action Sunday, March 9 in a 3 p.m. matchup at nearby NC State.
#17 Duke 4, #29 VCU 0
Mar 2, 2014 at Richmond, Va. (Thalhimer Tennis Center)
1. Nick Jones/Vuk Velickovic (VCU) vs. #33 Michael Redlicki/Jason Tahir (DU) 7-7, unfinished
2. Raphael Hemmeler/Fred Saba (DU) def. Wilder Pimentel/Michal Voseck (VCU) 8-3
3. Daniel McCall/Cale Hammond (DU) def. Alejandro Argente/JB Mateo (VCU) 8-5
1. #37 Michael Redlicki (DU) def. Nick Jones (VCU) 7-5, 6-4
2. #40 Jason Tahir (DU) def. #121 Michal Voscek (VCU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Alejandro Argente (VCU) vs. #58 Fred Saba (DU) 0-6, 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
4. #94 Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. JB Mateo (VCU) 7-6 (3), 6-2
5. Wilder Pimentel (VCU) vs. Raphael Hemmeler (DU) 1-0, unfinished
6. Vuk Velickovic (VCU) vs. Josh Levine (DU) unfinished
Duke 7-3; National ranking #17
VCU 11-6; National ranking #29
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,1,4)