DEDHAM, Mass. – Coming off of a thrilling 4-3 win over No. 9 Notre Dame Friday evening in South Bend, the 14th-ranked Blue Devils earned another ACC victory Sunday, sweeping Boston College by a 7-0 score to wrap up a successful weekend on the road.
Duke (12-5, 4-1 ACC) took a 1-0 lead in the match with wins on courts one and two in doubles. Senior Fred Saba and junior Raphael Hemmeler teamed up for their ninth win of the season, dispatching the Eagles’ Philip Nelson and Matt Wagner in the No. 1 contest, 8-4. The duo of junior Jason Tahir and sophomore Josh Levine added a strong performance from the No. 2 spot, teaming up to defeat Alexandre Thirouin and Jonathan Raude by an 8-3 score.
The Blue Devils kept the momentum rolling in singles, taking first sets on all six courts. Tahir and Saba recorded their second-straight wins from the No. 1 and No. 2 positions, respectively, as No. 48 Tahir topped the Eagles’ Raude, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 1 contest and 54th-ranked Saba cruised to a 6-0, 6-1 decision against Nelson on court two.
Hemmeler followed suit in the No. 3 slot, downing Aiden McNulty of Boston College of scores of 6-3, 6-0 to improve to 14-7 overall and 3-1 in ACC play. Semenzato, the 71st-ranked player in the nation, defeated Workman on court four, 6-3, 6-2, to also conclude his weekend with a 2-0 singles ledger.
Freshman TJ Pura tallied his eighth consecutive victory in singles play, returning to the lineup to collect a 6-3, 6-4 decision over Wagner in the No. 5 matchup. Sophomore Josh Levine rounded out the afternoon with a 6-4, 6-2 win against Childree on court six, moving his season ledger to a team-best 26-6 mark overall.
Following this weekend’s action, Duke hits the road again next week, traveling to Miami Friday, Apr. 4 for a 3 p.m. contest and Florida State Sunday, Apr. 6 for a 12 p.m. meeting.
#14 Duke 7, Boston College 0
Mar 30, 2014 at Dedham, Mass.
1. Fred Saba/Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Philip Nelson/Matt Wagner (BC) 8-4
2. Jason Tahir/Josh Levine (DU) def. Alexandre Thirouin/Jonathan Raude (BC) 8-3
3. Kyle Childree/Hank Workman (BC) vs. Bruno Semenzato/Daniel McCall (DU) 6-7, unfinished
1. #48 Jason Tahir (DU) def. Jonathan Raude (BC) 6-3, 6-2
2. #54 Fred Saba (DU) def. Philip Nelson (BC) 6-0, 6-1
3. Raphael Hemmeler (DU) def. Aiden McNulty (BC) 6-3, 6-0
4. #71 Bruno Semenzato (DU) def. Hank Workman (BC) 6-3, 6-2
5. TJ Pura (DU) def. Matt Wagner (BC) 6-3, 6-4
6. Josh Levine (DU) def. Kyle Childree (BC) 6-4, 6-2
Duke 12-5 (4-1 ACC); National ranking #14
Boston College 4-10 (0-6 ACC)
Match played in Dedham, Mass.