UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. Ė The No. 33 Duke men’s tennis team fell to No. 18 Florida State 5-2 in the first round of the National Team Indoor Championships on Saturday in University Park, Pa.
The match started out with each team picking up a win in doubles. In the No. 1 spot, Florida State’s No. 23 doubles team of Jean-Yves Aubone and Clint Bowles defeated No. 38 Kiril Dimitrov and Alain Michel of Duke. The Blue Devils’ combination of Dylan Arnould and Reid Carleton upset No. 47 Andrew Bailey and Maciek Sykut 8-5 at the No. 2 position. It was the first victory over a ranked opponent this season for Arnould and Carleton as they improve to 5-2.
The doubles point came down to the wire at the No. 3 slot with the Seminoles’ Vahid Mirzadeh and Chris Cloer winning 9-8 (10-8) on a tiebreaker against David Holland and Torsten Wietoska. The loss was the first of the season for the duo of Holland and Wietoska as they fall to 4-1.
Florida State swept the first four singles matches with a pair of close finishes in the top two spots. At the No. 1 spot, No. 30 Jean-Yves Aubone of Florida State and No. 25 Reid Carleton of Duke split the first two sets. The third set was tightly contested with Aubone edging Carleton 7-5 for the win. The No. 2 match was also between a pair of ranked opponents in No. 29 Clint Bowles of FSU and No. 45 Kiril Dimitrov of Duke and featured long tiebreakers in both sets. Bowles won the first tiebreaker 11-9 and also took the second tiebreaker 13-11 to clinch the match victory for the Seminoles.
Duke’s Dylan Arnould and Jared Pinsky each had five-match winning streaks snapped on Saturday. Arnould lost 7-6, 6-2 against No. 79 Maciek Sykut while Pinsky fell to Vahid Mirzadeh 6-3, 7-5. The No. 5 and 6 matches were forfeited by Florida State with the match already being clinched. Duke's Torsten Wietoska and David Holland each picked up victories with Wietoska improving to 9-4 and Holland to 8-1.
With the loss Duke falls to 2-1 on the year. The Blue Devils will play another match in the National Team Indoors on Sunday. They will face the loser of the match between No. 21 Oklahoma State and No. 44 Penn State.
Florida State 5, Duke 2
Penn State Tennis Center
1. #23 Jean-Yves Aubone/Clint Bowles (FSU) def. #38 Kiril Dimitrov/Alain Michel (DU) 8-3
2. Reid Carleton/Dylan Arnould (DU) def. #47 Andrew Bailey/Maciek Sykut (FSU) 8-5
3. Vahid Mirzadeh/Chris Cloer (FSU) def. Torsten Wietoska/David Holland (DU) 9-8 (10-8)
1. #30 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. #25 Reid Carleton (DU) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
2. #29 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. #45 Kiril Dimitrov (DU) 7-6 (11-9), 7-6 (1113-11)
3. #79 Maciek Sykut (FSU) def. Dylan Arnould (DU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Jared Pinsky (DU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Torsten Wietoska (DU) def. Chris Cloer (FSU) 2-1, ret.
6. David Holland (DU) def. Andrew Bailey (FSU) ret.
Duke 2-1; National ranking #33
Florida State 4-2; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (4,3,2,1)