UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Blue Devils rebounded from a first round loss at the National Team Indoors for a 2-0 victory over the host school No. 44 Penn State on Sunday.
Duke, ranked No. 33 in the ITA team rankings, improved to 3-1 on the season with the victory while Penn State drops to 2-3 on the year.
“I was proud of how the guys responded after a tough loss yesterday,” said head coach Ramsey Smith. “We came out with a lot of energy and played one of our best matches of the year from start to finish.”
The Blue Devils won the doubles point to start things off. No. 38 Kiril Dimitrov and Alain Michel earned an 8-4 win over Adam Slagter and Jason Lee. The Duke pair are now 9-7 overall and 3-1 in dual match play at the top spot. In the No. 2 doubles match, Dylan Arnould and Reid Carleton clinched the point with an 8-3 win over Eddie Bourchier and Ryan Gormley. Arnould and Carleton are now 6-2 overall and 3-1 at the No. 2 spot.
Duke won three singles matches in straight sets to clinch the victory. Dimitrov, ranked No. 45 in the country, made quick work of Brendan Lynch at the No. 2 spot in the order, winning 6-2, 6-1 to improve to 13-7 overall. Jared Pinsky then claimed a 6-3, 7-5 win over Lee. Pinsky is now 13-6 on the year and 3-1 at the No. 4 spot in the lineup.
Ending the match was Carleton, the No. 25 player in the country. He defeated Slagter 7-6 (4), 6-3 to clinch the match. Carleton improved to 15-5 this season and is 3-1 at the No. 1 position.
Next up for the Blue Devils will be a pair of road dual matches. They will travel to the Midwest to face Illinois at 7 p.m. (ET) on Feb. 6 and Notre Dame at 12 noon (ET) on Feb. 8.
Duke 4, Penn State 0
Penn State Tennis Center
University Park, Pa.
1. #38 Kiril Dimitrov/Alain Michel (DUKE) def. Adam Slagter/Jason Lee (PSU) 8-4
2. Reid Carleton/Dylan Arnould (DUKE) def. Eddie Bourchier/Ryan Gormley (PSU) 8-3
3. Brendan Lynch/Guillaume St-Maurice (PSU) vs. Torsten Wietoska/David Holland (DUKE) 7-6, unfinished
1. #25 Reid Carleton (DUKE) def. Adam Slagter (PSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
2. #45 Kiril Dimitrov (DUKE) def. Brendan Lynch (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) vs. Dylan Arnould (DUKE) 7-6 (8-6), 3-3, unfinished
4. Jared Pinsky (DUKE) def. Jason Lee (PSU) 6-3, 7-5
5. Ryan Gormley (PSU) vs. Torsten Wietoska (DUKE) 2-3, unfinished
6. Guillaume St-Maurice (PSU) vs. David Holland (DUKE) 1-2, unfinished
Duke 3-1; National ranking #33
Penn State 2-3; National ranking #44
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,4,1)