DURHAM, N.C. Ė The Duke men’s tennis team faced No. 14 Florida State at home on Friday and suffered a 5-2 setback.
"It was a high level, intense college tennis match out there today,” said head coach Ramsey Smith. “After losing the doubles point we challenged our team to step up and they responded by winning five first sets. We put ourselves in position to win the match and just couldn't close. I give a lot of credit to FSU. They kept their composure and competed extremely well. This was a good experience for us. I expect our guys to learn from this loss and grow as a team."
The loss evens up the Blue Devils’ conference record at 1-1 as their five-match winning streak came to an end. The Seminoles stretched their overall record to 13-4.
Florida State took two of the three doubles contests and won four singles matches. All four of the singles contests Duke lost were in three sets, a stronger performance than a 4-0 loss to the Seminoles in the first round of the ITA National Team Indoors.
No. 58 Kiril Dimitrov earned a 6-3, 7-6 win at the No. 2 position over No. 57 Clint Bowles. Dimitrov has defeated nine ranked opponents this season and is now 9-3 in dual matches with a 2-0 ACC record. Freshman Luke Marchese claimed a straight set win over Drew Bailey at the No. 6 spot in the order. Marchese has won six straight matches to give him 10 wins on the year. He is 3-0 in dual match play with wins in both of his league contests.
Duke will have No. 45 Miami at home on Sunday. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m. at Ambler Tennis Stadium.
Tennis Match Results
Florida State University vs Duke
March 20, 2009 at Durham, N.C.
#14 Florida State University 5, #28 Duke 2
1. #39 Jean-Yves Aubone/Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Kiril Dimitrov/Alain Michel (DU) 8-4
2. Maciek Sykut/Drew Bailey (FSU) def. Dylan Arnould/Reid Carleton (DU) 8-5
3. David Holland/Jared Pinsky (DU) def. Clint Bowles/Chris Reiman (FSU) 8-6
1. #20 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. #28 Reid Carleton (DU) 6-7, 7-5, 6-1
2. #58 Kiril Dimitrov (DU) def. #57 Clint Bowles (FSU) 6-3, 7-6
3. Maciek Sykut (FSU) def. Dylan Arnould (DU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
4. Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU) def. Jared Pinsky (DU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Chris Cloer (FSU) def. Alain Michel (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
6. Luke Marchese (DU) def. Drew Bailey (FSU) 6-4, 6-4
Florida State University 13-4; National ranking #14
Duke 8-4; National ranking #28
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,5,2,4,3,1)