ATLANTA, Ga. Ė Sophomore Alain Michel came through with a match-clinching victory with the score tied at 3-3 to help No. 30 Duke earn a narrow 4-3 victory over No. 47 Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Friday in the final weekend of the regular season.
“It was a good win for us today over a tough team,” said head coach Ramsey Smith. “We got off to a great start by winning the doubles point. The conditions were very tough out there today and I felt like our guys handled it very well . Alain came through in the clutch to take the deciding point for us. I was very impressed with his composure out there in the last few games with him being the last left on the court.”
Michel had the first set under his belt but pressure was mounting with just him and Ryan Smith left on the court and the score tied at 3-3. Michel came through for the Blue Devils with a 7-5, 7-5 victory to clinch the match. He improved to 15-12 on the year and is now 5-4 in conference play.
The match started with Duke winning the first two doubles contests to take the first point. Kiril Dimitrov and Alain Michel won their third straight match at No. 1 while Dylan Arnould and David Holland picked up their second victory together.
Dimitrov, ranked No. 55 in the country, put Duke ahead 2-0 with a straight set win over Miguel Muguruza at the No. 2 spot 6-4, 6-2. He leads the team with 23 singles wins on the year and is now 6-3 against ACC foes. After Georgia Tech tied the match at 2-2, freshman Luke Marchese defeated Austin Roebuck at the No. 6 spot. He won 6-1, 7-5 and is now 9-1 in the ACC and 17-4 overall in his first collegiate season.
The Blue Devils will play their final match of the regular season on Sunday at 1 p.m. when they go to South Carolina to take on Clemson.
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs Georgia Tech
Apr 10, 2009 at Atlanta, Ga.
#30 Duke 4, #47 Georgia Tech 3
1. Kiril Dimitrov/Alain Michel (DU) def. Miguel Muguruza/Ryan Smith (GT) 8-5
2. Dylan Arnould/David Holland (DU) def. Kevin King/Doug Kenny (GT) 8-5
3. Reid Carlton/Jared Pinksy (DU) vs. Austin Roebuck/Guillermo Gomez (GT) no result
1. #16 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. #38 Reid Carlton (DU) 6-1, 6-4
2. #55 Kiril Dimitrov (DU) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 6-4, 6-2
3. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Dylan Arnould (DU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Kevin King (GT) def. Jared Pinksy (DU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alain Michel (DU) def. Ryan Smith (GT) 7-5, 7-5
6. Luke Marchese (DU) def. Austin Roebuck (GT) 6-1, 7-5
Duke 13-7, 6-4 ACC; National ranking #30
Georgia Tech 9-10, 4-6 ACC; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,6,1,5)